1st period

My 10 year olds dr. said that she has all the signs of starting her period early becuse everyone in my family started ealy. How do I talk to her about it......

Asked by Luvdolphins at 12:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• just talk to her about my daughter got hers at 9 show her a pad and explain it to her dont worry about

Answer by Patience1 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Just talk with her a lot this can make her feel different from the other girls her own age and make her feel alone. Research show that starting her period early can have some negative results like hanging out with older kids, feeling of isolation, and higher chances of drug and alcohol use. Now before anyone jumps I am just saying studies show this so it might be a good idea to do more research so you can help her through any emotions or negative feelings.

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Be honest, use the medical terms! I got my period at 9 years old, my mother never explained things to me (I guess she thought I was to young, didn't expect it). It would of been nice to understand what was happening to me. I am sure the whole thing is very scary to a young girl, it was for me.

Answer by sondrajoy at 1:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Just explained this to my daughter, age 9, she said she feels all weird in side. I told her if she has any questions, just ask, it is not bad thing that happens, it is just a fact of the great life we have. The 5 year old girl was listening too. I also told her about the tampons and pads. She already knows what puberty is, she has some hair, she has ben reading a book abour 1000 questions, that explained it. I also have a book from American Girl that will answer a lot of questions, and she can talk to Aunts and friends when it comes about. It's kind of a difficult thing to talk about, cos no one talked about it with me, except in school.

Answer by momo2girlz at 10:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• what ever you do, explain it soon. my sister started hers at nine and honest to god thought she was bleeding to death. she had no clue. funny as hell now, traumatic then.

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Call your GYN. They should have a kit. So at your next mother/daughter time........

Answer by ToldUNo at 3:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2008