What is too vocal?

I will be completely honest in telling you that I have raised my children to hate cigarette smoke... My 7yr. old son has spent the last few days with my sister and her family. The other day she took my son and her kids out to the drive in, and at the snack shack there was this man smoking a cigarette while waiting in line in front of them.

My son says out loud "OMG... That cigarette stank, you're killing me with that fonky smell"....lol I was rollin when she told me that, but she didn't find it funny at all. She said she was completely embarrassed.. She said my son shouldn't go around doing that because smokers have a right to smoke wherever they want to w/o being heckled... Now mind you she is not a smoker nor is her husband...

Do you think I should make my son keep his mouth shut when he feels like his space has been polluted?

believejohn316

Asked by believejohn316 at 5:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. Let him be vocal. Why does a smoker get the right to smoke wherever they want? I mean why is it ok for them to stroll around smoking and affecting children and adutls they walk by? As a former asthma sufferer I used to HATE sitting on the green in our town and having some smoker come and stand near me. It would affect me and sometimes trigger an asthma attack. Why should I have to be the one to move?

Also in the UK smokers get FREE nicotine patches and help to stop smoking on the NHS but I always had to pay for my inhalers. How is that fair either?

If your son isn't happy with someone smoking near him then I think he should say something. You could get him to be more polite about it but I don't think that he should have to keep quiet if he isn't happy.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:08 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Hmmm While I am glad your son knows not to do those things and he was right that man really shouldnt have been smoking in line that is so rude (former smoker here, but was always considerate of other people) I do have to say that if he were with you great fine say what you want because you as his mom find it funny, As his aunt i would be like your sister not very happy. There is speakign your mind and there is being rude. as a child saying that to an adult he doesnt know that is rude and most likely people were looking at your sister like she had no control over her childrens mouths, thats probably why it was so embarassing.

Its a tough situation, I would say if he isnt with you then he needs to reign in his vocal outburts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• well they can smoke out there, but that shouldnt stop them from saying something. maybe it will put a little kick to that smokers arse.

(btw im a smoker) and if a kid came around me smoking, id back up away from them where it wouldnt be near them. theyre innocent and don't know whats going on...except for your kid which you educated well :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you are going to allow your child to be rude to adults, you need to expect that eventually he is going to run into one who has no problem with being rude back. Unless you are prepared to have someone tear your child a new one, it would be in his best interest to teach him a little tact. Think about the things adults say to other adults who have the nerve to give unsolicited advice - do you want someone saying those things to your son?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• NO way jose
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No he should stand up for what he believes in. Maybe when he gets older he will be the one that lets people know that it is not cool to smoke standing next to a child.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 5:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I am a smoker, but I would never smoke in a line of ppl! That is rude and inconsiderate of those around you. Although, I have to say, I was smoking in a parking lot. This fat women comes out of the building. I moved to the side of my car and she made a comment about me polluting her air. I simple said that she was destroying my eye sight with her fat nasty ass :) You should of seen the look on her face! Funny really!
    I do agree that he should say something to a smoker that has moved themselves way to close to him.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I hate smokers, and I am 22 years old and I said the same thing last night at Walmart when they have an ashtray in between the sliding doors! I am a month pregnant and I hope next time someone is smoking out there and I get sick on them, Whoopsies is all I'll say!
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 7:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When my daughter was nine, one of our friends (the only smoker we know) refused to spend time with us because our daughter told her that smoking made her stink and was killing her.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Eh, I don't know. I think your son could have been more polite about it. Just because the guy is being rude by smoking while in line with other people is no excuse for your son to be rude. He could have politely asked him to put out the cigarette saying that it was bothering him. I don't smoke, but let's say I did. If some kid was rude about it like that there is no way I would put it out. I would immediately go on the defensive and pretty much think to myself, fuck you kid, I'm outside and I have every right to smoke outside. Now if the kid was polite, heck yeah, I would put it out. Now if the guy still continued to smoke after your son asked politely or was rude to your son after being asked politely, then I'm all for being rude back.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010