Whether you ERF or not.....

on a journal post of a mom turning her child around on his first birthday, someone responded and said.... "I had to turn my 10 mo old around already..."

WTH?
why would you HAVE to do that? and isn't that illegal??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what is wrong with people smoking in the car while your child is in there? my GOD

ugh. My parents both smoked and when I was younger I always HATED being in gthe car with them when they smoked! The smell is horrible. Then you've got the window down even it's raining or snowing or really cold. I do not let dh smoke in the house or in the car with dd.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Our DD is now 12, BUT we had to turn her around at NINE MONTHS and put her into a convertible car seat! She was too long to lay comfortably in the rear-facing seat without her legs getting cramped up against the back of the car's seat. She was so uncomfortable that she just cried all the time when she was in her car seat. As soon as we turned her around, she was "happy as a lark." I was told by a Maryland State Police officer (off the record) that I could do it, just BE CAREFUL! She is now 5' 10.5" tall. She was out of her convertible and into a booster seat at age 3. Out of the booster seat into the regular car's seat at age 5 (with a device that put the seat belt into the right position.)
    SMOKING ... NO WAY!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• WTH... and then someone else posted this...

I smoke in the car and my son has ff since 1. *gasp* He also knows how to unhook his straps and take them off so I really like being able to see him and stop him. "

what is wrong with people smoking in the car while your child is in there? my GOD
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I KNOW RIGHT!! SMOKING!!! BLEW MY MIND!!!!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I was looking at some of the information on ERF and one of the comments about the kids not being comfortable with their legs scrunched up. The response was that is is not uncomfortable for children to sit that way. Someone forgot to tell my 11 year old that. I know 10 years ago, I could not wait until the turned 1 to turn him around. He is tall for his age and always had been. He would flip out majorly not being able to stretch his legs out. He would put his legs against the back of the seat, scream and push his legs straight. I thought he was either going to break his car seat or the actualy seat of the car. My 1 year old isn't quite that tall yet, so he is still rear facing, but I don't know what he's going to do if I get the same from him.
    But smoking in the car is wow. I think it is even illegal in my state-PA- to smoke in a car if minors are in the vehicle with you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I guess it depends on the law wherever that mom is. The law here is +20lbs AND 1year old. Both requirements must be met to ff.
    I've heard of places where smoking in the car is illegeal w/ children, but I dont know if that's the case here. Never tried it, dont know LOL.

That said DS is still RF, he'll be two in 2 months. It's a litt scrunchy back there, but he doesnt seem to mind he doesnt know any better. I would rather him be uncomfortable then the alternative if we have a crash. I think we're going to turn him around on his second b-day. It's gonna blow his mind. Ha-Ha
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• my daughter is still in a rf seat. the law says 1 year old and 20lbs. my daughter is 17months and only weighs 16lbs. she will be rf for a long time.
    nscr24x17x3

Answer by nscr24x17x3 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I turned my daughter around at a year but after reading all of the research when we have another one I wont be turning the next one around until later.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son is turning one tomorrow. He is about 23 pounds. I could turn him around. Given the info i have seen on erf he will not be turned around. He is tall for his age also. People always ask me if hes going to be comfortable. My response is he would be more uncomfortable with a broken neck :) Risking a broken neck or risking a whiny toddler..I think my choice is pretty easy :) lol!!! And as for the smoking in the car. Thats nasty! I hate seeing people do that alone, let alone with thier kids. Ick!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Childen are NOT uncomfotable sitting with their legs bent in a car seat. Their bones are not like an adults because they are growing and thus are more flexible. Turning a young child around is extremely dangerous in a car crash. The new recommendations are MINIMUM 2 years, 30 lbs but for as long as possible to age 4 or 5.

It's crash physics. Rear faceing is safest for ALL of us, but particularly for children. Seriously, look as this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA&feature=player_embedded (you'll have to copy and paste it). It will really open your eyes to why forward facing children at a year is dangerous. There are seats now that rear face to 35-40lbs before being turned forward. 1 year 20lbs is outdated. Please tell everyone you know that the law hasn't caught up with reality.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2010