Working outside the home moms, do you have time to fix supper?

Geez, I get home at 6:30 because I work full time outside the home. How do you have time to cook?

DaisyDayse

Asked by DaisyDayse at 7:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We do a lot off crock pot meals, stir frys, warm sandwiches. Esp in summer when we want to get as much "outside" time as we can. Quick meals. Grilling now that it's warmer outside. DH does a lot of cooking too. (most really) We all get home at the same time, so we try to take turns, 1 cooks while the other plays w/ DS, then the next night we switch.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• crockpot meals are always good, quick 30 min meals, sandwiches, leftovers from the weekend. I cook bigger meals on my nights off that way they still get the "home cooked" things that they like without me having to rush around during the week.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There are plenty of healthy, tasty meals that you can have on the table in twenty minutes, with a little bit of preplanning. On the weekends, I cook and freeze rice, beans, soups, pizza etc. I cook and refrigerate refried beans, hummus, pasta, something casserole-ish, like lasagna. I buy prewashed lettuces. I keep the freezer well stocked with chopped vegetables, torillas, . Dinner may be as simple as whole grain pasta with sauce and frozen spinach, with some mozarella on top.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Thank goodness for the grill during the warmer weather. Just throw some steaks on the grill, fix up a salad, and we're good to go.
    lizmarie1975

Answer by lizmarie1975 at 7:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I cook extra and have leftovers twice, usually in a different form. For example I cook a chicken on the weekend and have it for supper, then Monday we'll have chicken (or barbecue or salad) sandwiches, then Tuesday I'll fix soup or a casserole that will last a couple days plus freeze some. Then Thurs I'll pull something that I've put in the freezer from the preceding week, and it may last a couple days, if not - there is something else in the freezer from the week before.

Answer by Bmat at 7:51 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I used to work those hours too. I relied on my crockpot and quick skillet meals during the week. On the weekends I'd make bigger meals, snacks & desserts and do a lot of the meal prep for the next week. One of my tricks was to make a few extra meals on the weekend and then divide them into meal size portions and freeze them right in a foil container or on glass plates. The kids LOVED these homemade TV dinners! Just pop them into the oven (foil) or microwave (glass) to heat them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• quick meals we make a lot of hamburger helper and spaghetti
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I work full time and usually get home around 5:30. My son has baseball games twice a week usually. I'm a single mom. I still cook just about every day. I do a lot of crockpot meals. I actually don't know how I would survive without it. I also make and freeze casseroles on the weekends that way I can just toss it in the oven when I get home. It's also a good idea to prep the items you will need during the week on the days you are off work. I try to make sure any veggies I need are chopped up and ready to go before I go back to work for the week. That way I can just pull them out of the fridge and dump them in. Planning ahead makes a huge difference!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 12:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Freezer cooking is what I have done & still do. You take one or two days a month and prepare a variety of healthy meals from scratch that freeze well, then when you need one, you take it out &just bake it or whatever. It's like buying premade food from the grocery store, except you know what's in it & that it's reasonably healthy for you. You can even start a freezer swap w/friends so that you can have a greater variety of meals to choose from. Here are my 2 fav. cookbooks w/recipes and instructions to help you get started: Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer: Great-Tasting Meals You Can Make Ahead & Don't Panic--More Dinner's in the Freezer: A Second Helping of Tasty Meals You Can Make Ahead, both by by Susie Martinez, Bonnie Garcia, and Vanda Howell. Check your local library (or bookstore) for these & many others that are available.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I LOVE homemade bread, so I got these books, too: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking & Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day: 100 New Recipes Featuring Whole Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Ingredients, both by Jeff Hertzberg MD, Zoe Francois, and Mark Luinenburg. I mix up bread dough once a week & only bake as much as I need for each night, so we can have fresh bread everyday without a ton of work - it's awesome!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010