My 13 year old daughter has switched her days and nights please help!

She is on the swimteam at both her junior high and club. She stays up all night maybe gets like a couple hours of sleep then goes to swim practice 8 in the morning she then sleeps all day and wakes up at five to swim at six.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• She's 13 - tell her when she needs to go to bed, no tv, no music, etc. Then don't let her sleep all day. If she's having trouble sleeping at night you could give her some melatonin for a couple weeks (check with her dr) to regulate her sleep patterns, but I wouldn't give it to her long term.

Answer by missanc at 8:04 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Don't allow it, your her mother, remove anything in her room that may keep her awake. I kind of going through this with my 17 year old son he plays xbox and texts all night long. I knock on his door at 11:00 in the morning, it bugs me to see him still sleeping in the afternoon, he has chores to do and I want him to enjoy his summer, not sleep it away.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• She should have chores anyway at her age. Assign her chores that would take maybe an hour during the day, then some kind of studies or reading and reporting for another hour. At her bed time, send her to her room with no TV or computer. She can read if she wants to, but whatever she does needs to be done quietly and in her room.

Answer by Bmat at 8:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• keep her up during the day. just like jetlag. lol. instead of letting her go to bed after she gets back from swimming in the morning, have a full day planned. don't let her get out of it. she'll probably complain, but one day of this won't hurt. she'll go straight to bed after her last swim.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Wake her up for her swim practice that morning and keep her awake the rest of the day. Send her to bed to get some good sleep that night. You are the adult and she is a 13 year old. Put your foot down and make it happen, Mama! :0)
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Just keep her up until an appropriate bedtime, it will be painful, but she won't get turned around unless you do it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think that you should try and keep her up all day so she can get into back into a normal routine. Then she should go to bed early and be fine. Of course though if she is still getting to bed early after you rectify it by keeping her up all day and still needs a nap during the day she should have one - just try to encourage her no to have one later in the day as this will mess her sleeping up again. Maybe one after swimming.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• G o to the Dr w/ her and talk about it with Dr and kid could not be a good idea w/ swiming
    christine121

Answer by christine121 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I say take control of it. I know it's summer and we tend to let our kids go to bed a bit latter than school nights, but if she's in swimming she needs all the rest she can get, but within a schedule. Have go to bed no latter than 11pm and wake her up an hour or so before she has to go swimming. Try it for a couple of days or until she gets into that habit. Because believe me once school starts she's gona keep doing the same thing and it's going to hurt her studies.

Good luck!
    lilhandswonder0

Answer by lilhandswonder0 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with the moms who answered - you are the mom, you dictate her sleep schedule. You can do it mamma - good luck!
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 12:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2010