Do you give your preschooler time outs? How effective are they?

jekr433

Asked by jekr433 at 8:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All of my kids receive time outs when needed and for us, yes, they are affective.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We put our 4 yr old in time outs, yes, the sooner you start the better! We put her in her room, she hates it, so she comes out and says she's sorry. She's very smart, and is learning the difference of whats appropriate & whats not. Before she starts kindergarten, I've seen some other kids who are TOTALLY out of control because they are allowed to do whatever whenever we are just not like that. Time outs work in our family, thank god!~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• With my first dd time out was very difficult and she had to go again and again until it actually worked.But I still persisted and in the end it was the best way for her to behave better.With dd#2(she's 2,5) it works like a charm.She never gets up before time out is over and I rarely have to use this method.So I guess it's true for us at least that no 2 kids are alike. :)
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 8:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i put my 3 year old in the corner. she hates it. if she is doing something she is not supposed to or not listening all i have to do is ask her if she wants to stand in the corner and she starts listening.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I put my 4 year old on the "Naughty Step", the bottom step of the stairs. I give him one minute for every year old he is. If he can't behave or throws a fit on the step, he goes upstairs to his room.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• my 2 yo's need time outs in their rooms, and i need to be consistent with that. the 5 and 6 yo's can have timeouts anywhere. theirs are usually to calm them down after wrestling has gotten out of hand!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• yes its the time out chair.... and he does not like it at all
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I use timeouts however they are less effective for my 4yo. He is very shall I say strong willed...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I've tried them with my ds, they don't work at all with him.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 7:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• With my kids, we have found that they work a lot better now that we have actually set a timer for them. Now they know that when the timer goes off, they need to apologize (if necessary) and can go back to playing. Occasionally, they will need 2-3 time outs in a row, but that is not the norm.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010