How do I get my story heard?

I have a very important story to tell about my daughter being raped by my ex boyfriend and him getting a light sentence.

Butterfli34

Asked by Butterfli34 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Who do you want to hear your story? I'm really sorry about your daughter.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Become a victims advocate in your community. You may not tell your story everyday but you get your point across that its not ok and that you will fight to insure this stops happening.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you think the law needs to be changed you could also talk to some lawyers and try to figure out what it would take to change it.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 8:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• if you want the story heard to change the sentence, seek a lawyer or go to the media. if you just want to be an advocate or spread awareness, contact some shelter or help centers for women and give speeches.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm sorry about your daughter.. God bless you both..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 8:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would first work on writing your story, get all of your thoughts on paper, tell the ENTIRE story, spell out all of the details--just the way you would want it to be told--but in book/story form.

Then you need to find a good Literary Agent, and submit your story to him/her, along with a detailed cover/query letter explaining why you want your story told, and how it may help others. You may need to resubmit your story a number of times, before it is accepted, and/or the agent may want to make a number of changes.

Bear in mind that agents get TONS of manuscripts, autobiographies and stories, so while your story is near and dear to your heart, it may not be the kind of story that particular publisher is looking to print at this time.

Good luck! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would do whatever you can - write the paper, write a blog, find groups in your area, start/join a group that offers education about it for girls. Start groups online (on CM or FB, wherever). Find ways in your community you can make a difference, even if that means starting support groups. Even little things that may seem silly can be ways to spread the word around, get encouragement, and find ways to deal with the situation.

I wish you the best of luck, and I am terribly sorry for your daughter! *hugs!*
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• (oh, and when I said silly, I didn't mean goofy silly! lol, I meant things that seem like they're so small or insignificant, that kind of thing.) <3
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• What Lori said.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sorry about your daughter, but here on CM is a good place to start.

Also you do have to ask your dd if it is Okay for you to talk about it to people she may see or meet.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010