SAHMs: Do you have a credit card in YOUR name?

I just got off the phone with our credit union and they said I can't have my own credit card without my own income. I thought my husband's job was OUR income. It didn't sound right. I doubt that no one without a job can get one. DH was preapproved by anoter bank in high school with no job. Could the operator have misunderstood me? Or is this a real rule? Does it depend on where I apply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• I got a store credit card when I was 19 ....but that was in 1960. I think it was because I had a job during the summers when I was a college student. It is easier to get a store charge card to establish your own credit rating. Once you have established that you always make payments on your storecard (example...Penney's. Macy's...etc) then you will have a credit rating and then the Major Credit cards such as Masterr Card,will allow you to have your own credit card. Your husband's earning has nothing to do with you at all because YOU didn't earn it and they have no idea how Creedit-worthy YOU are.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Neither of us have a credit card (we don't want to get into that, lol, not that there's anything wrong with it), but we both have debit cards for our joint (and only) checking account (which is through our credit union).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It took me along time to get my 1st credit card. If you want one in your name you can go and get one at a bank & work up a credit by paying for one & see how that goes.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Fill out an application and where it asks for income, put your husband's income. It doesn't say "personal income"; most of the time it asks for "household income" or just plain "income". You are the type of family that considers income to be income, no matter who brings it into the household.

Most credit card companies will issue a second card on the account in your name if your husband requests it.

I understand the bank's thinking: why give a credit card or loan to someone with no income? To them, that means you won't pay them back.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• credit cards are nothing but trouble. i would never get one.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, they are all in my name, along with my husbands.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i still have credit cards (that are used and paid) in my maiden name, and in my own name, own income from WOTH and great credit history! (yeah me!). the only credit card i have 'joined' with my husband was a store card, when we purchased new brm furniture..we only opened it to avoid paying interest, and it will be paid off in a month or two, earlier than necessary.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No, I don't have one. Like you, I can't get one because I don't work. I consider that a blessing. I do have a debit card and I think that's all that I need. My husband has several credit cards. Personally, they are a lot of trouble. If you get a credit card, then you might start getting calls from them wanting you to BUY their stuff or they have "a great deal" to offer you just for using their card. Other words, THEY want you in debt. THEY want your money. THEY do not care about anything else but getting a hold of your hard earned money. My sister in law buys everything with her credit cards. She told me she never uses cash. Then pays it all off in one lump sum. My motto...I pay with cash. If I can't pay it with cash, then, I don't need it.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have about 15 or so in my name, but I hardly ever use them and when I do I pay them off right away.

Answer by older at 9:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a couple cards in my name, even though I have not had a full time job in a long time. I got the cards after building good credit though. Do you have any credit in your own name yet? If not, that may be why you are being denied. Some card companies will not give cards if someone has no credit in their own name and no present personal income.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010