do you think that vasectomies increase

the chance of prostate cancer?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• I have heard that and that is why I refused to let my husband do it.

As for a tubal messing with hormones, it can. It is because the blood flow to the ovaries is disturbed which can then disturb the hormone production. This is why I had Essure done because then there is no disturbance to the blood flow. PTLS is a very real thing that many women face unfortunately.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I honestly do not know, I have never seen any research on that, or heard anything to support that though.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I've never heard that either but it would kinda make sense. I mean, when you mess with your body like that it's going to react in some sort of way.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Talk about messing with bodies. I think, unless it is for health reason a women should never get fixed. That is your hormone production! should never be messed with. I had mine done for health reasons and let me tell you it has messed me up! OP, I don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• OP: I honestly don't know but good question.

layh41407: Thanks for the links.

soonmommyof3: Female sterilisation does not affect your hormones in any way.
    beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• soonmommyof 3....your uterus doesn't produce hormones and when a woman gets "fixed" they just tie the tubes to prevent the eggs from going from the ovaries to the uterus. The OVARIES produce hormones and the pituitary gland produces other sex hormones. The UTERUS has no bearing on the hormones that cause pregnancy orf menstruation. You can get "fixed" with no effect on your hormones.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I never thought of that, makes sense.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• NO. snipping the vas doesn't interrupt hormones like castration would; many men with vasectomies wouldn't have much of a sex drive if it did, and any woman whose husband has had a vasectomy will tell you the sex is BETTER and their husband's sex drive wasn't affected at all. It doesn't interrupt blood flow any more than a healing cut would. All it does is prevent a way for the sperm to get to the penis.

My grandfather didn't have a vas and ended up with prostate cancer. My FIL is 80 and had a vas over 40 years ago and has never had prostate problems. Evidence from many different studies does not support the idea that vasectomies increase the risk of prostate cancer.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• the largest study done was done by harvard. it involved 50,000 men. the study revealed a 60% increased risk of prostate cancer if you had a vasectomy.
    i believe that for every action there is an opposing and equal reaction.
    i believe that we do not know how the body works completely.
    so are the sperm still produced after a vasectomy? what tells the body to produce or not to produce sperm?
    i believe there is a biofeedback system that we don't know much about, and tampering with the body can have negative effects.
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010