potty training...outdoors?

My son has been potty training for about a month. He has been regressing lately, not telling us when he has to go, and he's been resisting sitting on the potty when we ask him to or we see cues (i've been going by the clock lately, which didnt work for us in he beginning, but i'm desperate to stay consistant) Well lately, when we go outdoors (in our yard), He's only in shirt and shoes. When he pees, he applauds and says "yaaaaay pee peeeee!" lol it's hilarious, but he doesnt do this indoors anymore. Why is he more aware outside than inside? He doesnt do this when he's naked indoors. Am I on to something? Will he get over his regression if I allow him to continue this outside?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know because once we were at a big outdoor park and the nearest restroom was closed and my son said it was urgent. I told him to go behind a tree. He liked it so much he kept wanting to go outside everytime we were someplace outdoors. He just thought it was fun. I would still let him go outside in the yard but probably not make a deal about it one way or another. However, indoors I would clap and make a huge production of it. Maybe even give him stickers or a small trinket everytime to encourage that behavior. I have heard potty training is easier in summer though! I would just take some precautions to only enforce positively the behavior you want to continue! Good luck with your little guy!!!!!!! :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• stickers dont work for him anymore and we certainly try to applaud any effort at all, since he doesnt seem interested.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• try bringing a potty seat outside! You dont want him to learn to pee just outside anywhere, Ive seen that become a really big issue. I actually babysat for a 5 year old that would ONLY pee outside, honestly it was pretty embarssing for me. but if you bring the potty chair outside he can use it then when he is more aware of what is going on. this will hopefully teach him to use the potty seat more and more and he will probably start using it more and more inside too!! I just definitely would recommend you dont exclusively let him pee outside, its a habit you wil lhave to break later, and honestly it would be like potty training twice which you dont want to do to yourself =0) . I hope that helped a bit!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• good advice amanduh thanks! I dont "let" him pee outside, he just seems more aware of the feeling when he has an accident while playing outside. he applauds and yells "yaaaay pee peeeee!" which is what he used to do indoors when on the potty. If he has an accident in the house he shrugs it off. So it's just really confusing me lol. but perhaps taking the potty outside will remind him.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2010