Kids and Coffee

Do you let your kids drink coffee? If so do you limit them or let them have it whenever they want to? I've always been a big coffee drinker and my daughter started around 10. I personally think it's healthier than soda, just wondered how everyone else's kids were.

GrammaBev

Asked by GrammaBev at 10:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• When you load it down with sugar and cream its not healthy at all. Tea would be a better option. Water would be magnificent.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son (14) loves it...I let him have about a half a cup in the mornings if he wants it. he doesn't have it every day
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My oldest started drinking coffe when he was around 15.. but he rarely drinks maybe once or twice a week.. younger than that I would give tea instead.. I let mine drink iced tea now and then , not every day ,we mostly drink water.
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 10:16 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• a ten year old drinking coffee? I woudl be concerned about a few things. from the affects of the caffiene on a growing immature body to the affects on her TEETH. coffee stains and breaks down the tooth enamel. it can be just as unhealthy for a person as soda
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My little one is ten. I let him have "coffee" occasionally. That being said, his coffee is white milk, with enough coffee added to give it a little color/flavor and one spoon sugar. So, to me, not that bad for him, and he feels like he is getting a huge treat!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sati- Depended on how it is brewed, coffee can contain less caffeine than pop, and less than tea. MAJOR misconception "Tea has less caffeine than coffee".
    True, it is acidic, but is actually less acidic than pop.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Gosh, Im addicted. I guess I started when I was 16 or so. Off and on. I don't remember when it became a habit, but I think it was when my husband and I started living together. I wouldn't let my kids drink coffee until they are in their teens at least.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Never, but she's only 5 and has a heart condition. I'm thinking as long as she has that, coffee will be out. Caffeine and a heart that tries to beat too fast just seems like a bad mix. :-)
    If she didn't I'd probably let her start drinking it the same time I did, at around 10 or 11. That is if she didn't want to load it down with a lot of sugar and cream.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son started drinking coffee when he was fairly young. He drinks a cup when he wants to sit still and concentrate on something. He drinks one cup maybe once or twice a week. I actually prefer that he drink tea or coffee rather than taking stimulant meds for his mild hyperactivity.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Brewed coffee made according to direction has more caffeine than anything else. I'd be careful with that. my kids have sipped coffee, but then again they're very young and were just curious. I wouldn't allow my 10 yr old ot have it on a regular basis
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010