How can you remedy two males dog constantly fighting?

My husband refuses to fix them, (he says women always want to get men castrated, long story) anyway I have had this problem for almost 6 years now, we keep them in separate rooms but sometimes they find each other and the fights are bloodied and mean, what can I do other than fixing them to stop this?

Asked by older at 10:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It is normal in a pack to determine who is Alpha, chief dog. It is natural and normal. The only way would be to have them fixed.

Answer by Bmat at 10:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The only way to fix that problem is to get BOTH fixed. If not, there will constantly be a competetion between them and it can get very BAD. If he will not get them fixed, you need to get rid of one of them.
    Despite dogs being domestic animals, they still try and be dominate over one another when there are more than male dog in the house.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If your husband doesnt want to get the fix then you might want to get rid of one. They are trying to see who is the bigger male. My husband had to male dogs and the only way he could get them to get along was to have them fixed.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Your husband is being childish. Does he want a dead dog? because eeventually one will kill the other to prove dominancy. If you cannot convince him on having them fixed then i suggest getting rid of one of them
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You need to find a home for one of them. Some dogs just like to be the only dog around. You can keep them separated or find one of them a home. They will not stop fighting even if you fix them. Sounds like you have two alphas.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• put them outside on opposite ends of the yard. WIth heavy stakes and heavy duty chains. Not too long though.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We can't get rid of any of them we are too attached!!!! but I like the idea of tying them up in the back yard, but it is way too hot and they are too old!

Comment by older (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well you really have two options here - take them and get them fixed, or find a new home for one of them. I personally don't agree with chaining them up in the back yard...that's horrible. But, you can leave one out there for an hour or so, then switch. Kennel the other while you're making the transition.

What they're doing is normal in a pack, yes, but it's also cruel to continue to let this happen. And by not getting them both fixed, or finding a new home for one, you are letting it happen. We had this problem with our male/female dogs because our male got extremely protective of me when I got pregnant (and he WAS neutered). We couldn't stand to watch them try to rip eachother apart, and as much as it killed us to find them new homes, we knew that was what was best for them, and we did.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If your husband refuses to get them fixed and you cannot rehome one then you will have to rotate and supervise them. There are plenty of people that do this with their dogs that will not get along. If you will not get them fixed to see if that will help, then it is your responsibility to see that they do not hurt or kill each other, which will mean supervising every interaction they have and keeping them crated of separated by closed doors or gates when you are not around.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• KTMOM this is exactly what I have been doing for years now, we havw it down pat!

Comment by older (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010