Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some ways to protect my family from a gambling problem?

I think that DH may have developed a gambling problem. Over the last 4 months chunks of money, primarily earmarked for bills, have been disappearing. Always from his posession, and with various excuses and stories. There are no signs of drug use, so I think gambling. I'm not wanting to give up on him, but I need to safeguard myself and the kids while trying to get him help. (I tried Gam-anon, but their website isn't working)

Answer Question

Asked by cedailey at 11:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 11 (601 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • just ask him. tell him your not mad but if he has a problem you would like to help him get over it. confront him about it but be supportive.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • I know this isn't a nice answer but open an account only you can access and start transferring money into there. You can also cancel his atm card and his credit cards if you are on the account as well. At least that is what I would do if hubby wouldn't give me a straight answer.

    Answer by kuriequinn at 11:47 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • Sorry, but there's no way I can lie to him. I pissed. We make about 1600 a month for a family of five, my lowball estimate of the missing money is $3000 in 4 months. I've had the electric cut off twice, borrowed money for rent in April, and yesterday that landlord "mentioned" that he hadn't gotten this months rent which was due on the first, and which DH clearly told me he had paid.

    Now I'm willing to help and find professional help for him, but I need to not end up on the streets in the mean time.

    Comment by cedailey (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • You know that would be hard. I mean because every store has powerball and scratch offs. just like most all stores have beer when alcoholics have to face temptation.

    Answer by whistlemom3 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

  • $1600 for a family of 5?! jeez, your already stretched thin. you've got to gain control of the $ and give him an allowance. you'll probably have to end up giving him an ultimatum to get control but it will be worth it to keep you from being homeless. you cant force him to seek treatment but you can stop the $ flow. good luck! you might want to try to attend some al anon meeting to gain support.

    Answer by lillie70 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.