Do any of you girls sell on ebay?

How do you not get hosed on the shipping? I've made small mistakes twice out of five packages and I'm heated.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• a lot of sellers, i've bought from try to include the cost of the supplies to ship. i've only sold a few things on ebay , but it's usually small items. are you shipping something large? you might try the flat rat boxes from the post office and just charge the flat rate price.
    mommyofone740

Answer by mommyofone740 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Loving--

You should have asked me, I've been selling on Ebay for over 10 years! I can definitely help you with the shipping and packaging!

There are a few tools on Ebay to help you, and if you weigh your items (using a cheap digital scale--I bought one ON Ebay for $10!) at the time of listing them, you can use the automatic shipping calculator feature, add in the cost of shipping supplies (shipping and handling), and then pay and print your shipping label (using regular copy paper and mailing tape) and even order FREE USPS boxes and schedule a FREE pick up from the post office from your home--and you don;t even have to be home! :o)

I LOVE being able to see my tax dollars at work (Post Office)! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have businesses on Amazon and Etsy. When calculating shipping, you can go online to USPS and calculate what it will cost before hand. Don't offer international except on very light items. Figure what zone you are in and calculate how much it would cost is you shipped it to the zone furthest away from you. Figure in the cost of shipping materials as well.

On Amazon they set the shipping, so on heavy items I make sure there is enough profit built in to cover the extra shipping costs.

Good luck!

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Nope, but I suppose it depends on what you are sending. If you can, do the flat rate boxes and add the amount for delivery confirmation from USPS. That way you know how much it will cost to send it (if it fits, it ships). If it's a large item, I guess you can take pics of the item first and then put it in whatever you are shipping it in w/ packaging materials and take it to your choice of shipping options to get prices. Seems like a lot of work though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I try to add a dollar or two depending on size to the rate I think it will be to ship it to keep from getting a nasty surprise. I have felt really bad a couple times when I have won auctions for a very small amount and then could see the seller spent way more than I paid for the item plus shipping to ship the item. Then again, you bid based on total price including shipping (and some shipping fees are outrageous!) so I didn't feel any obligation to pay them back, nor did they ask.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Ugh, sorry, this was meant for money and work, I'm half asleep...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I used to but it got to be too much. It was costing too much to post then the extra you pay after it sells and all the rules. I just quit. What kind of mistakes did you make?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I bought a postal scale. Wasnt very expensive & its WAY worth it to KNOW how much shipping is going to be.
    Or, I just put free shipping on the auction, and the price it sells for ends up taking care of it anyway!
    Also, there's always flat rate priority mail envelopes & boxes! Those are awesome!
    MommyKelley04

Answer by MommyKelley04 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• we have a scale and that has helped. But finding the boxes to fit things has been a pain in the ass.
    we do use p.boxes when we can.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Not after I bid on that *Mickey Mouse Outfit*

I sure got a defective outfit, was not worth a damn.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010