Should the payment of ransom be a criminal offense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Why would it? I'm assuming your asking if paying a ransom is the criminal offense.
    Or are you asking if demanding one?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• While I understand the thought behind this, I do not think that is a person pays a ransom that they should be charged with a crime.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No it shouldn't be. Demanding one of course, but can you really blame someone for paying a ransom to try to save their child's life for example?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes. The act of paying a criminal ransom should be considered a criminal offense. Because You are aiding in the crime. It's the same as if I were to give money to a bunch of guys for them to buy guns, so they can rob a bank. I'm an accessory to that crime by supplying them with the funds to commit that crime. Paying ransom to a criminal is no different. You're supplying them money for them to carry out a crime. It should be illegal.

It'd be interesting to see how that would effect the crime itself as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• By whom?

I don't think the Federal Government should be in the business of catering to extortion or ransom.

If an individual has the funds and they want to go along with the demands of the ransomer then that should be their personal choice; assuming it only affects them & or their family.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Uh, NO! Are you saying you wouldn't pay a ransom to some one that said "Pay this or we will kill this person"?????? Jazz's answer scares me!!
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Eh...

While I get Jazz's answer, and agree for the most part, I'm not sure I'm okay with charging family members who were desperate to get their family members back safely. While the actions were wrong, the intent was only good.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• OP--Are you referring to the Joran Van Der Sloot case, where Natalee Hollaway's family members paid him $15,000 in the hopes he would tell them where Natalee's body is/was, or what he did to her, and where he disposed of her? And that money helped him get to Peru where he ended up killing Stefany Flores, and possibly two other young women last seen with him in Colombia?!

If so, I would be feeling very guilty if I directly (albeit unintentionally) contributed to the acts of a criminal/psychopath! But I don't think someone in a desperate state of mind (ie: kidnapping, or missing loved one) should be charged with "aiding and abetting."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• paying no, but demanding ransom yes that is a crime.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Paying no. You would just be revictimising some one that is already in a desperate state.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010