i am 18wks pregnant and i haven't taken any folic acid should i be worried about the baby?

i have heard that folic acid is very important in pregnancy i do eat my meals and my prenatal vitamins and get some folic acid but i dont really focus on just getting that. should i be concerned?? and in what foods can i find folic acid in??

yesenia909

Asked by yesenia909 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well there is folic acid in your prenatals so unless you have been told otherwise by your doctor that is all you need.
    The only reason you would need more is because of genetic disorders from my understanding, like with me I am suppose to take extra before even trying for a baby because cleft runs in dh's family and our son was born with it.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didn't worry about folic acid, and both of my kids came out very healthy. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Whats in the prenatal should have what your need. But foods like leafy greens, asparagus, beans, peas, and some whole grain foods like breads, pasta and cereals have folic acid.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• no you shouldnt' be worried as long as your trying to eat healthy and are taking your prenatals..
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There is folic acid in the vitamins.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• my doctor tells you that you should be on folic acid before you even get pregnant he says because the first weeks of the babies growth is the most important. Although I didn't know that at first with my first (Ihad a diffrent doctor) and started them after I had my first doctors appointment. My second I started taking before pregnancy and I achually stopped taking them at about 4 months because I kept forgetting to take them. But it is very important no matter how good your diet is
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Thanks for your answers ladies =) the ony thing im kinda worried about is that for about a month in the first trimester i didnt take my prenatals and couldnt eat nothing but fruit cuz everything else i couldnt eat even though i would want to i would be very nausaus even though i never threw up should i still be concerned or am i over reacting?? =/
    yesenia909

Comment by yesenia909 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You're perfectly fine mama. I was so sick my entire pregnancy with #3 that I could only choke down 2 Flintstones vitamins every now and then, and our DD was born perfectly healthy. Baby will take vitamins from YOUR stores before s/he goes without.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with milfalicious08 with my first pregnancy I stayed so sick with her I couldn't even keep a cracker down. I had a hard time brushing my teeth cause my gag reflex was so bad I would get sick and couldn't keep my prenatal vit. down at all they told me to take flintstone vitamins and I could barely keep those down I didn't take any in my first trimester I was sooo sick I was put in the hospital for dehydration and I didn't have any genetic problems in my family and I did the triple screen testing the baby was fine and she came out fine. This pregnancy I have been a little better about taking my vitamin but not much cause I have been sooo sick with this one to and he has been a big goober he is sitting low and messing with my nerves and sleep along with been sick. Use to love coffee and I can't stand the smell of it at all now makes me bad sick. But the docs say he is healthy. So good luck momma
    MrsMorton080508

Answer by MrsMorton080508 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010