What does the landscape and decor look like out in front of your home?

I am also curious and nosey for new ideas.

We have a lot of trees that provide lovely shade, but need to be trimmed back, and we have some bushes up against the front of the house that are unsightly and need to be pulled out, but the lawn is nice and green and we have a red brick walkway off the driveway. I have a decoration flag on the front of the house in a plain area, a welcome sign to the left of the front door, a welcome mat in front of the door and a small decorative flag on each side of the walkway up to the front door. One is a summer flag and the other is of our last name initial. I also found a magnetic mailbox decoration thing that covers the top of the mailbox...it is Independence day themed, but I keep it up all year long.

Can you describe yours to me?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 12:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• A bunch of scalloped bricks line our planters that are overgrown with grass and weeds. We'll be taking them out and just extending the lawn in the next month or so. Next to our porch i've planted some propogated hostas, 2 types of lilies, and seedum. We've got a patch of Iris' in the middle of the lawn which we'll be taking out as well...I don't like things in the middle of the lawn..lol I just trimmed a tree to the side/front of our house and it looks a lot healthier now! Ours is a rental too, but I take pride in wherever I live. I can't stand letting it go, and I love gardening anyway. If anything it'll make it a little less drab and it'll give me something to do that I love!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Since we're not finished building - lots of red clay and dirt. :(
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sad and tired. My husband keeps saying we aren't growing grass right now, we are growing kids. So we keep it mowed and it is simple. I look forward to the day when I can afford to really put some time and effort into sprucing it up.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Tree roots, a big tree that is part in our yard and part in the neighbor's, and patches of dirt and grass. Also, little bits of orange balloons from yesterday's water fight that still need picked up.
    We rent, and don't have to cut our grass, the land lord does it, so it's a little tall too. Not too pretty a yard, but it's shaded and great for playing. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I live in the country...right now the grass is dry...and plenty of rocks...I don't have a green thumb...no flower beds...we are trying to sell our home to move to where my husband works....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We have weeds, weeds and more weeds. lol We also have a rose bush that I think may have died :( We do have lots of flowers but there are so many weeds around them that it is hard to appreciate. I just can't find enough time to tackle all the weeds. We also have a strawberry patch that is overgrown with weeds :( Darn things!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We are on the crest of a hill. In front, looking out of our front door, we see our front walk with a row of boxwood bushes lining it, then the parking lot , next another yard lined with trees and a small front yard with another row of townhouse apartments across from it (the front of the apartments are facing us. (Shaped like a large cul de sac.)

The back is much prettier. We have a back deck with steps leading down to the yard which is lined with woods. There are several trees in the yard and the area is lined with large rocks from the actual landscape. At the edge of the woods it is a straight drop off down on to rocks and the forest floor.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a huge maple tree in front yard, it is probably 35 years old with clay colored scalloped blocks for planters surrounding the tree with lilies and all sorts of beautiful pink, yellow and purple flowers. We have the same scalloped blocks for planters that go along the front part of the house stacked in two rows. In the block planters I have three on each side azalea bushes with hostas' in between each bush. Two round ever green bushes in front of the steps. The azalea bushes when they bloom are a beautiful coral and yellowish orange color. Along the driveway up against the house there are some pretty purple, yellow and blue iris'.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010