Still breastfeeding my 18 month old baby

My baby she is 18 months old and she will not stop breastfeeding. I have tried different drinks in her sippy like cold water, white milk, chocolate milk all kinds of juices. I think she uses my breast like other kids would do with their favorite toy. I believe it is just a comfort thing for her.

momofthree00033

Asked by momofthree00033 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its perfectly normal for children to nurse at 18 months. In fact, the World Health Organization says children should nurse for a minimum of 2 years! There are so many health and immune boosters, and not to mention the health benefits to you, mom. Start doing some research on breastfeeding and reevalute your feelings.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It absolutely is a comforting mechanism for your daughter. It's one of the things she's used to comfort herself from day one and she won't give it up unless you teach her to. (Which can be emotional and difficult for both of you) Weaning from breastfeeding is not always the easiest thing to do, but your daughter is likely ready. I would suggest pumping some milk and putting it into a sippy or regular cup for her so that the taste is similar to her... also, refuse to breastfeed her. It sounds harsh, she'll be upset, but honestly, she'll continue breastfeeding as long as you let her. Kids don't just decide that they're done doing what works... they have to be taught that it isn't needed anymore and taught a new way to handle stress and cope with needing comfort. You can hold her while she cries about it just like you would to nurse her, offer her food and a drink, and if she doesn't take it than so be it... she'll not starve.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• "it is just a comfort thing for her" So where does it say you are not supposed to comfort your child? I think you are doing a good job mom by meeting your child's needs. Have you considered attending a La Leche League meeting? It is a great place to talk to other moms who are nursing toddlers and/or who have weaned toddlers.
    If you are wanting her to nurse less one thing that can really help is "don't offer, don't refuse". If you say "NO", this will often make the child feel rejected and then they ask to nurse 10 times more. Also avoid situations where she is likely to ask to nurse. If you think she is going to ask, get her attention on something else.
    Ask yourself, will things really be easier if she is not nursing? You will still have a needy toddler and one less "tool".
    I'm nursing my 12 month old and hope to make it to 2 yrs with her.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I just read this other response and had to comment on it "It's one of the things she's used to comfort herself from day one and she won't give it up unless you teach her to." This is absolutely 100% NOT TRUE. ALL children will wean on their own, most of them before 4 yrs old.
    Also "but your daughter is likely ready" It sounds to me like she is not quite ready, that this is an important source of comfort for her.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There is nothing wron with setting limits at this age. You can teach her that you only nurse at certain times or for X amount of minutes each time. I am still nursing my toddler because he still needs it and will benefit from it until he stops on his own.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I concur with the firt poster. Even in your question you called her a baby...that's what she is. A toddler is an older baby but still a baby.. You're trying to fix something that isn't broken. This culture has a really skewed perspective on what is normal. Think about it, you are providing her with the perfect milk but are tring to get her to another milk...with suger and drinks with sugar.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010