• In the Spotlight:

Did you know that the 1 yr 20lb rule for forward facing is outdated? It is crash physics; have you seen the crash tests?

Childen are NOT uncomfotable sitting with their legs bent in a car seat. Their bones are not like an adults because they are growing and thus are more flexible. Turning a young child around is extremely dangerous in a car crash. The new recommendations are MINIMUM 2 years, 30 lbs but for as long as possible to age 4 or 5.

It's crash physics. Rear facing is safest for ALL of us, but particularly for children.
Seriously, look as this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA (you'll have to copy and paste the link). It will really open your eyes to why forward facing children at a year is dangerous. There are seats now that rear face to 35-40lbs before being turned forward. 1 year 20lbs is outdated. Please tell everyone you know that the law hasn't caught up with reality.

Here is another. At time 0:50 is the crash test Watch it Carefully http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE

amileegirl

Asked by amileegirl at 12:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks for the info my babies are nine months and I have been wondering about this.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I hope this helps to educate more moms! It is really good info. Unfortunately there will still be people who will ignore this or think they know better (all of those "My kid is fine" people). I was never once put into a car seat as an infant/toddler and I am fine, so maybe I just shouldn't even use car seats (Yea right!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I find this interesting however I disagree that we need to be paranoid about our children dying or being severely injured while riding in a vehicle. I'm curious on the statistics of injury and death from car crashes for children under age 6 because I know that not that long ago none of us had car seats, let alone boosters. I didn't even have a seat belt on half of the time. In fact, a crash I was in would have killed me had I been wearing my seat belt! It all depends on what life throws at you and honestly, I just can't see babying my child anymore than necessary because it's "SAFER". I mean, kids don't even climb trees anymore or go outside half of the time. It's craziness if you ask me. Yes carseats are good, they do save lives... but the key is for people not to crash in the first place isn't it? Drive defensive, have faith, and be on your way.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Nobody said you need to be paranoid. All you have to do is NOT turn your childs car seat FF when they turn 1 year old, and you are giving them a huge safety advantage in the event of a crash! 500% safer is quite a difference, if you ask me. Its only considered babying if you make a big deal about it. My DD is 4, RF, yet she climbs trees, jumps off everything she can, sleeps in her own bed, etc.

There are charts that show the huge decline in vehicular deaths in children since car seat safety and laws have improved. Yes, most of rarely rode in car seats and boosters and we survived. But you are forgetting the thousands and thousands who are not here because of no car seats, seat belts, etc. And even with all of the improvements, its still the #1 killer of kids in our country. I will do whatever I can to minimize my childs risk of being injured or killed in a car accident.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• momofkearra: this isn't about babying anyone. This isn't a tree. This is a hunk of metal going at speed. Did you even look at the crash tests? This is physics. You can't change that. How do you know that a seatbelt would have killed you? Are you conviced that seatbelts don't save lives? How old are you? Restraints have evloved.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/childpas.htm
    amileegirl

Comment by amileegirl (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• In sweden children rearface for so long that fewer than 1 child under age 6 dies per year in a car accident.

Just sayin'

I love knowing that my 2 and 3 year old are as safe as they can possibly be while in a motor vehicle.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• And exactly how many children die each year from being forward-faced at 1 year and 20 pounds? And why are you so concerned about other people's children? This "extended rear facing" argument reminds me of the formula feeding argument.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Fallaya did you even bother to watch the crash test!?
    amileegirl

Comment by amileegirl (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Well, explain that to the lady I saw at Target today. I watched her get her infant out of her car, and the baby was forward facing in an infant carrier! We passed the mom in the store, and I looked in the carrier, and the baby was smaller than my 4 month old baby who is 16 pounds. I just couldn't believe it. I haven't decided if I'll ERF because my car is just too tiny; we'll have to play with the set up of 2 carseats, but at least I'll do the minimum. I couldn't believe this lady had her infant FF!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• A friend of mine is an EMT, I got these stats from him:
    -About 2,000 children die each year from injuries caused by car accidents.
    - Nearly 700 kids are harmed EVERYDAY from car accidents.

There is a HUGE difference between babying your children, and taking extra precaution while zipping along in a vehicle. You absolutely CANNOT be too overprotective in the vehicle. Yeah, "in the day" people didn't even use car seats, however there weren't nearly as many cars on the road then as there are today, and there certainly weren't as many asshole drivers either. All it takes is a split second for a horrific crash to happen. If you don't want your child to be protected to the utmost extent - fine- your choice-but mine will be.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010