Baby's first foods.

How old was your baby when you first started feeding him/her solids? What did you feed him/her first?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was baout 3 1/2 or 4 months and we started with a small amount of rice cereal. I put it in a bowl and mixed her formula in it so it was very runny. she loved it!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I waited until 6 months for all of my kids (The American Academy of Pediatrics says exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months, so I followed those guidelines, even for my DD who had both breastmilk and formula)
    We started with a bit of ripe banana on the end of my finger. Other "firsts" were sweet potato, unsweetened applesauce, soft ripe pear and avocado.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I always wait until around six months - when baby can sit up on their own and is interested in eating. With my oldest I started with rice cereal, because I thought I had to. But my second started with applesauce, my third with sweet potato, and my fourth with banana. I also made all of their food at home (except my oldest) and I think it helped them be better eaters!
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 7 1/2 months. apple, banana, pear, avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash. Real food, lightly mooshed with a fork or small pieses she could gum, not purees or jars. We mealshare table food...no fuss and practially free. Babies can't digest grains, it just makes gas and stinky poop -- so no rice. Tastes horrible to. She's had everything from 3 bean chili to kiwi to asparagus.

No earlier than 6 months is the recommendation since babies younger than that can't digest solids well. It is also the time they lose the tongue thrust reflex which is designed to keep solids out and you don't need to bypass this safety mechanism with a puree. They also are able to sit up so food falls forward not back, they have the ability to move food with their tongue so they can swallow it of their own accord, and can pick up food for self feeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Was different for every child. My son was almost 10 lbs at birth and still hungry after breastfeeding and formula so he started rice cereal before one month old per the doc. My middle child, she waited until six months as she was content and thriving breastfeeding. My youngest, I think she was 3 or 4 months. She was obviously ready to eat and was grabbing at people's food and stuff already.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son was 4 months old, and we started with the rice cereal. From there I think we did the Stage 1 squash. Just a little hint I've learned from many moms, don't start with fruits. With a lot of babies (not saying all babies), they develop a preference for the sweet taste of fruit and then won't eat the veggies. I think we did all veggies, then added fruits, and when we started giving him 2 kinds of food, he always got a veggie then a fruit.

My DD is almost 5 months old, and we're delaying solids until 6 months and skipping rice cereal completely. I haven't decided if I'll try to give her just regular food or if I'll just go the "baby food" route again.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 6ish months but he didn't start eating properly until 14 months when he had a huge interest. From 6 - 14 months he ate very little food but had moments where he would eat lots.

First foods: melon, banana mushed, avocado mushed, sweet potato and mangoes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 3.5 months. runny cereal and then carrots
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 1:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 4 months we tried rice cereal, she can't digest it. so we stopped. 5 months oatmeal cereal and she did really great. We gradually added a little fruit or veggie and now she has the oatmeal with squash, prunes, pears, green beans, peas or carrots or sweet potatoes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• With both my girls I started them when they were able to sit and hold their own heads up, roughly between 3 1/2-4 months old. I started with baby food, bananas pears applesauce.... it varies from person to person but I was told to start them on the clearer baby foods versus stuff like carrots or green beans.
    pcricket1008

Answer by pcricket1008 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010