Anyone have a child with ADHD/ODD?

And if so, how do you discipline them? I have a six year old that I swear I wanna just pack up and send to boot camp.

k_hall1784

Asked by k_hall1784 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You really have your hands full! You might laugh but maybe that would be a good thing for him and you. A daycamp option would give you a little time to regroup, plus your child would be having fun and kept busy! They even offer respite care through the county for children with special needs. Check it out. One day a week, someone takes your child for a day of fun and activities, while you can catch your breath. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a son with ADHD and OCD.. It took me a long time to really come to terms with the fact that he simply does not respond to discipline like other kids do. It seems no amount of rewards or punishments do anything. At first I thought maybe I wasn't being strict enough but in fact, the harsher the punishment, the worse his behavior! I read a book that really helped me to turn things around. It was the best $10 I ever spent! The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with maggiemom, the harsher the punishment the more they will act out. I really don't have much more advice as i'm still trying to find out what works for my 5 year old son.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I will assume that you have gotten a formal diagnosis from a physician in child psychology. If it was diagnosed by your pediatrician and if it was some time ago, I would encourage you to ask for a referral to a psychologist, specializing in children.. Is he on medication? I know I might be in the minority in saying this, but it can help him focus and calmed. My soon to be 18 yr old daughter was formally dx'ed with ADD and being bi-polar (manic depressive) when she was11 yrs old. And upon thinking about it, I can look back now and see the signs of her depression and related issues, it began as early as age 6. It's been a long haul raising her too! With your Dr;s advice and trying different things, I managed, and so will you! Take care~!
    galkimba911

Answer by galkimba911 at 5:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Was your child tested for food sensitivities before diagnosis? A rast test for IgG, IgE & IgA antibodies? It is done by blood draw. Food sensitivities can mimic symptoms of adhd, odd, bi-polar because it causes internal problems. They don't manifest as traditional allergic reactions. If you haven't already, removes ALL artificial colors & flavors, hfcs, excess sugars including fruit juice. Limit processed foods. Feed whole fruits & vegetables. Add a fish oil supplement to his diet. Fish oil contains omega acids that the brain needs to function properly.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i think my son does but hes 4 so its still early to get him tested..
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010