Vesectomy question!

My husband and I are considering him getting a vesectomy. I need details and opinions and experiences! Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• All I got is that its cheaper than a tubal. One around here is about $700 without insurance. My husband will get one when the time comes.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My husband had one in 2005 the day after our youngest child was born. It was so EASY. He went in for a consult with me a week before, and we both had to sign off that we knew it was permanent and both agreed. The morning of the vasectomy, he went for a quick blood test. About an hour later, he had it done. I was still in the hospital with our baby so I wasn't there, but he said it was quick, easy, and painless. He said the worst part was that he could smell skin burning when they were doing it and that grossed him out. He was on blood thinners for another health problem, so he bled more than a man normally would. He got a few stitches, which they rarely even do. He was in and out, and given some pain killers. He only took one dose because he wasn't hurting and the pills made him feel weird. He was tender for a bit, mostly because our 3 year old head butted him in the crotch the day it was done. Overall very easy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My husband had his in 2008. As far as what it entails, when I worked in a urology clinic this is how it happened: the doctor will shave his scrotum, numb it with a local, make two small incisions on both sides (not even a quarter inch), cut an inch or two of the vas deference and cauterize the ends. Then the doctor will suture the small incision made to the scrotum. Your husband will have to wear a jock strap and ice the area for a few days and usually is prescribed a narcotic like Vicodin or something stronger. My husband said it was like he was kicked in the balls for about 3 days afterward the procedure. He could not work out or do anything strenuous for two weeks after. Then he had to produce a sample to make sure the swimmers were gone. He was in and out within 45 minutes.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• His was about $1500 and the insurance we had at the time didn't cover any of it.
    BTW we're both VERY happy he had it done!!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My DH got it done. It was a pretty simple outpatient procedure. He was not knocked out completely, just really doped up (it was a funny ride home!). He says it was no big deal at all. My brother actually had it done twice! He got it done with wife #1, then remarried and got a reversal. After they had a baby he got snipped again. It can't be that bad if he did it again LOL!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My hubby got one and it was the best option for us. He was sore for a few days, but he said it wasn't nearly as bad as he thought it was going to be. It is less invasive and can be done as an outpatient (right in the clinic). If I would have had my tubes tied, it was going to be very expensive, required a hospital visit involving the operating room and the recovery time was going to be significantly more.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I refuse to have it done. There is some evidence that it can increase chances of prostate cancer and ED and stuff later in life. Plus, like a tubal ligation, it can reverse without you ever knowing. Too scary for me since I don't want to risk getting pregnant again. So I went with Essure.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• purpleducky, what is Essure?
    ilovemyaustin1

Answer by ilovemyaustin1 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It's an alternative to a tubal ligation. It can be done in office. They put coils in your fallopian tubes which causes you to form scar tissue in your tubes, closing them off. 3 months after you have the coils inserted you are checked to make sure it has worked successfully. In clinical trial there were ZERO pregnancies.

I choose it because if it does self reverse I will know because there will be a coil in my underwear. Plus since it doesn't disrupt the blood flow to your ovaries then you don't have to worry about PTLS (post tubal ligation syndrome).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My husband had it done in 2008. The procedure itself was pretty easy. He did feel some discomfort, I won't lie about that. He also continues to say that he doesn't feel 'the same.' I can't get a clear answer on what that means, but he says it's just different now.
    He will still recommend it though if you do not want more kids.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010