Why does my cat throw up now and then? (TMI)

He is 8 years old and is an indoor cat only. We brush him regularly and he does not get hairballs. He eats and drinks regularly and is fairly healthy except for weighing 22 lbs.

Every now and then we will walk into a room and see a pile of his vomit on the floor. Most times it is the food he just ate and not digested at all, so I just assume he ate too quickly and his gorge came up. A few times the food was digested but there was nothing out of the ordinary in the digested food pile.

He uses his litter box regularly, plays regularly, and is very lovable. His demeanor hasn't changed. I'm just concerned about his vomiting. I have tried the hairball remedies and he is on a feeding schedule, but the vet confirmed that he does not have hairball problems.

Your guess would be appreciated.....thanks.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

• my cat does the same thing!!! he is about the same size and he is perfectly healthy. I also had another larger cat that did the same thing. My theory is that they just eat too quickly. Its kind of like if you eat a meal too fast, you can feel super nauseous afterwards, I think the same thing goes for them. What I started doing was making sure there was always some food in their bowl that way he wouldnt get so excited when I would feed him and over eat. It took a little while for him to get used to it but eventually after he got used to food always being there he realized he didnt need to stuff himself everytime the food came out and the throwing up definitely got less and less!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a kitty just like that! Even 22 lbs! He's a happy guy. Sometimes he eats too quickly and throws up. I started giving him smaller meals more frequently and he doesn't eat as quickly. The vomiting has slowed down.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Thank You for asking this question I was getting concerned for my cat too..... same thing was happening.... we just started giving her smaller amounts of food hoping to solve the problem.
    tabby1catt

Answer by tabby1catt at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My cat does this sometimes, I know there is one food she really loves and I have to mix it with one that she only likes. It has helped alot.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• it's exactly the same reason why you throw up sometimes. animals get sick or get upset stomachs too
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• See, that's what we did....instead of leaving a huge bowl of food out all day for him to graze at (vet says big no-no) we just give him a scoop in the AM and a scoop in the PM. Funny thing is, there is always food still left in his bowl no matter what meal we go to feed him...weird! I wonder if he is getting picky in his "old age" and won't touch any food that has sat in the dish after a certain amount of time...lol. He only eats the dry stuff....he eats a tiny bit of wet food as a treat now and then, but not enough to warrant a whole meal.

Thank you for great answers! I'm surprised at how many of us have big kitties! :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Comment by PrydferthMenyw (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010