How have you conquered the fear of death?

My biggest fear.........from time to time I really have a bad time with this. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• I have just realized I can't think about it. When I do start thinking about it (usually it's in the context of my husband or kids, not necessarily myself) I have to do something else and push it out of my mind. There is nothing you can do about it, you can't change the course of fate and to worry about dying will keep you from living your life to it's fullest! I try to live my life with kindness, honesty and respect every day and that's the best I can do. My advice would be to make a concerted effort to not think about it and to have a plan to think about something else (or go do something fun!) when you start thinking about it.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• no but I have come to accept one day I will die everyone dies eventually :(
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 12:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm not afraid of dying or being dead. I figure, I'll be dead, it's not like I'll know what's going on. What I am worried about is how I will die. I am afraid of drowning or suffocating. It seems like one of the worst ways to go. So, I learned to swim so I won't drown and I realize the chances of suffocating are slim to none unless someone holds a pillow on my face. Then, in that case, it would seem I have bigger worries!
    I just realize that as soon as I was born, I was on my way to dying. I just live each day the best I can and know that I will die at some point and there is nothing I can do about it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm not afraid of dieing but I worry about what will happen to my family if I die young. I have some serious anxiety problems when it comes to that.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I guess so, but then, I've never really had a fear of death. We are dying from the moment we are born, so you do as much good as you can on while you are on this Earth, then you die and the cycle of life is complete. No fuss, no muss and the world goes on. Here & now I have some control & influence, so here is where my attention should be, because the here & now is where my children will be growing up, so seems to me that my focus should be on what I need to do now to make this the best place possible for them so that life may continue. Besides, what comes next is not for me to know now because my life is here & now, not there, wherever or whatever "there" is, so why worry about what I can't know or control?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I am not afraid of dying. I'm not afraid of what will happen to me afterwards. I have faith. But I do occasionally feel a sense of fear when I hear of other's who live in pain before dying, or those who have a particularly painful or traumatic deaths. I do feel worry when I hear of those who died and left behind young children and a spouse. It's not the death that scares me but the events surrounding it. It's not something that I live in fear of, but it gets to me when I see others experience it. I think that I must feel empathy toward them when I think of myself in their shoes.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have come to accept that one day I will die. It is a process that you have to go through. As far as fear, I have some about the way that I might die. I know that once your body can't carry you no more or when we wear our bidy and organs out, that you will know when your time on this earth is near. There is no pill that can help us cheat death.
    BAMBAM06

Answer by BAMBAM06 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• all i know is i don't want to die instantly without knowing i would rather be in pain knowing. my parents best friend died instantly when his motorcycle crashed into a telephone pole. my mother said she came to him in her sleep and kept asking her where he was and what happened... it's freaky but my mom is one of those people that seems to be really close to the other side.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 1:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes and No.

I know I'm going to heaven and that I won't technically be dead...my body will be dead but I will live on. THAT BEING SAID I'm really terrified of dying young and not getting to do all the things I have planned or not getting to be there for my children. I'm also terrified of leaving my husband or him leaving me because I know that's something that is going to be HORRID for either one of us.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010