Trying to help a friend: she keeps mc at 6 weeks?

This is her 2nd pregnancy this year and the first one the baby was fine then around 5 weeks the heart rate started decreasing an at 6 weeks she mc. They did a sono and saw clots coming out with the baby. So this time around they had her on an aspirin regimine for the clots and progesterone suppositories. She is 6 weeks today and started bleeding last night. Any ideas why this would be, what could cause this?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Wow I feel bad for her. She's on progesterone suppositories, but did they check her progesterone level?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Is the spotting light? And is it brownish or pink or red blood. Is she having any cramps? I know these are alot of questions but they are all important. Spotting in early pregnancy is more common then ppl realize. I know it is hard but have her call her doctor or go tot he er. I had two early miscarriages then got pregnant with my oldest son and around 4 1/2 wks I started to spot and of course thought the worse and I was on the suppositories. So I went to the er and the doc was worried bout an ectopic so they did and u/s but the baby was just fine. They sent me home with high levels of hcg in my blood cause of the suppositories. He said that I could be having a threatened miscarriage or it could just be normal spotting. I had him with no other complications and he is now 7. She needs to prop her feet up and even though it is hard she needs to try not to stress. GL HUGS
    mom2wy

Answer by mom2wy at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• thats terrible I am so sorry she has to go through that. The best thing I can say is to have her see a specialist. Sometimes regular OB's just dont know exactly what to do in situations like this. I wish I had a better answer, Im sorry, but definitely definitely recommend her seeing a specialist.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i had bleeding around 8-9 weeks with dd and went for a sono the next day and everything was fine.. they couldn't give me a reason for the bleeding but i had a healthy baby.. so tell her go to the drs/hospital asap and get a sono and see if the baby is ok..

staceybear23

Answer by staceybear23 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My daughter has a blood disorder that causes overclotting called methyl tetra hydro folate reductose. We have already been told for her to carry a child when she is an adult will be difficult and she will have to be on folic acid for a year before trying to conceive. Maybe get her to ask her doctor about it and see if they can test her for it if she continues to miscarry. Most women don't know they have this blood disorder until they try having children. My daughter was tested for it due to other medical issues.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 1) Is she sure that she's having a miscarriage? Bleeding, even somewhat heavy bleeding, can be normal in the first trimester. Many women experience period like bleeding 2-3 times in the first trimester.

2) Have she had her progestrone checked? Is there a possibility that she has an incompetant cervix?

There are MANY reasons that women have repeat miscarriages. She needs to talk to her doctor and she needs to ask about her progestrone levels, her cervix and ask if there are any test the doctor recommends.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010