• In the Spotlight:

Do any of you have kids with milk allergies?

If so any advice. I am new to this. We just found out our three year old son has milk allergies.

Fortnerfamily4

Asked by Fortnerfamily4 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• Dont do soy milk. Soy is an endocrine disruptor so it can screw with your hormones. Do rice or almond milk instead.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 12:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Oh, and lots and lots of Vit D. My 4 year old is 30lbs and takes2000 IUs ofVit D a day. Her Ped said with her high level of Vit D, her body is very efficient at pulling calcium from breads, fruits,and veggies.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 12:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Soy can be fine in limited amounts, but research it and talk to your pedi about it. I think soy is fine, but some people are very against it. Either way, it's not a big deal because there are other options! :)

Do you know how severe his allergy is? Some kids react strongly to straight cow milk, but dairy in foods isn't as bad. My son cannot drink cow milk, but he doesn't have a problem with mac & cheese, for instance. I switched my son to completely non-dairy diet and then gave him very small amounts of things like cheese to see if he reacted. I'm glad I did because dairy is so widely used, it's nice to have some flexibility instead of feeling like I can never let it touch his lips!

The toughest part is getting used to buying the other foods. Once it clicks in your mind, it's really not that tough to keep up with. It just becomes habit! GL!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My son is. You're going to have to become the ingredient police if the allergy because dairy is often used as a binder in many different kinds of foods you wouldn't expect, like hotdogs for example, so you'll need to read carefully, especially if the allergy is severe. Dairy can also masquerade under different names, so you'll need to learn thosee, too (available on the website below). Your child may need a calcium/vit. D supplement if he's a super picky eater, otherwise you can get enough calcium from beans & veggies, etc. You don't have to use a milk substitute, but if you do, look for a vitamin fortified one & avoid soy milks (they can screw w/your hormones). We like almond milk for drinking & hemp milk for baking. The FAAN website was a huge help for me (http://www.foodallergy.org/) and I also like Allergic Child (http://www.allergicchild.com/index.html). Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If they have milk allergies, chances are they will probably have a soy allergy as well. Most kids have both. Some don't. We thought our son was one of those "lucky" ones, then we found out the soy was what was still causing issues with him. So I would beware of soy milk and do rice or almond like suggested above. Also we buy him stuff from the gluten free section in walmart. A lot is gluten, dairy, soy, and peanut free. It's awesome! We just bought some chocolate chips for my son! They are really good!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My DS is very sensitive to casein (milk protein) so we avoid it. We don't do soy milk because it is an endocrine disruptor like the first poster says. We've tried rice milk, almond milk and, more recently, hemp milk. Hemp milk is our favorite.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• http://www.turtlemountain.com/index.html

http://www.daiyafoods.com/

Those are your new best friends. Have fun.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have dealt with it for the past couple of decades. Cook and bake from scratch. Anything prepackaged will have some form of dairy in it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010