Hypothyroidism?

Do you have low thyroid hormone levels?
What is your life like with it?

I am 43 and was just found to have low thyroid hormone levels with my recent blood test. My doc put me on Synthroid, but I can't seem to remember to take it everyday. Since I am an old lady and my last blood test was over a year prior, will forgetting the medication really make much of a difference?
Is there anything else I should know about the lifestyle of living with hypothyroidism?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 1:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Health

• Hi ladies. It is imperative you take your thyroid meds and get checked every three months! Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to serious health issues, including heart damage, diabetes, and death. (Your thyroid and hypothalamus are tied together with your pituitary gland) all of these regulate various hormones within your body and work together to maintain the status quo. If one is off, it will lead others to be off.
    I left my thyroid untreated for a long while, thinking it wasn't getting any better. I nearly died. Symptoms included were, feeling as though I was going crazy, cognitive function impairment, reading issues, hot cold issues, dry skin, balding, bad skin, sluggishness.
    Eventually this lead to a heart problem.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I too have hypothyroidism...I was diagnosed about 5 years ago at age 37, and have been on 100 mgs of Synthroid ever since. I was feeling sluggish, couldn't lose weight, had brittle nails and dry skin, and my hair was falling out in clumps! A couple of weeks after I started taking Synthroid, I really did start feeling better, had more energy, started working out more, lost the weight I wanted to lose--and then some, and my hair, skin and nails stopped being so brittle and dry.

I didn't HAVE to change my diet any--although I did and continue to follow the South Beach Diet (because it works for me). I keep my pills in a cabinet right above my coffee maker, so I remember to take it each morning. I haven't skipped any doses, so I'm not sure if you'll feel much of a difference if you miss taking one. I only have my blood tested once a year to make sure I don;t need an increased dose. I've been holding steady!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Synthroid has a very long half life so if you forget a pill or two, it's not going to make too much of a difference. Keeping it by your toothbrush or something you do every day could help you remember to take it. I had postpartum thyroiditis with my second child and was put on synthroid, starting at .175. It corrected itself and I was gradually weaned off medication. My labs have been normal and it's been 18 months since I stopped taking medication.

However, I remember how horrible I felt before being diagnosed. I was tired all the time, my hair and nails were brittle, I gained so much weight, I felt like I was in a mind fog, I had depression, etc. I felt better with the Synthroid, but felt worse as my thyroid healed and I was getting too much medicine. The real question to ask yourself is how do you feel not taking it? The same? Better? Different? It's been over a year, you should get another thyroid test.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have it to. I am suppose to be on a low dose of synthroid. I haven't taken it in months.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I kept forgetting to take mine, and started gaining weight and having the exhaustion again. I keep it in the cabinet in front of my daughter's sippy cups now--she demands one first thing in the morning, so I can't miss it lol.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 11:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010