Does your child's school...

still go on educational field trips? I remember when I was in elementary school we went to factories, water works building, the zoo, fox theatre for plays and alot of other fun educational things. They don't do that anymore. I think thats sad...

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in

• Mine do because I home school them. We've gotten personal tours of the local fire department, post office, dairy farms, sawmill, Dairy Queen, and other businesses, and I can take them to any educational and/or historic site within driving distance, like Fort Michilimackinac, Mackinac Island, Mill Creek Sawmill (provided lumber for early settlers), Hartwick Pines, Sleeping Bear Dunes, various historical lighthouses, the Shipwreck Museum, the Soo Locks, the local schoolhouse museum (one room schoolhouse!), we even have a log cabin museum within a mile of our house! Last fall we picked apples and had them made into cider at my uncle's cider mill then visited his log cabin that he's building.

Our local school can't even come close to that. They've gone to the county park/playground, to the public library (a regular trip for us), and the one dairy farm that offers tours.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yep but not very often. this year they went to a local farm to learn about how strawberries are grown and got to pick a pint to take home!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The school my kids went to last year only did 1 field trip per year per grade (except the 7th and 8th graders). PK-3rd go to a pumpkin patch every October and that's it.
    The 4th and 5th graders went to a local forest preserve that was doing a reenactment of 18th century pioneer life. They had a blast despite the fact it was freezing and raining the whole time they were there.
    Now sure what the older grades did. The 8th graders went to our state capital along with a trip to Six Flags and something else. The 7th graders had 2 trips (both educational as far as I know).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes they do.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, my children's schools do! We're in PA, so visits to Crystal Caves, Kutztown University's Planetarium and One Room School House, to working farms, along with fun trips to the Y for winter swimming, and the zoo are par for the course!

However, I had the benefit of growing up in Boston0--talk about educational field trips--The Freedom Trail, The USS Constitution, Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Rock, Boston Tea Party, plus a ton of museums, and battlefield re-enactments!! To enhance our learning, we often wrote age appropriate stories, and conducted research papers on a variety of topics related to whatever it is we were studying. It sure made learning about history so much more fun, than listening to a lecture, reading a book or watching a movie!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You must be from Detroit area too! I have one child in an independent school the next in public and the one in public school really doesn't have enough funding for field trips. They went to the high school for a play and they took a bus to another school to participate in a FUNd Run. My older child though goes on a few field trips a month. I wish my two other children could have the same experience, but we couldn't afford it for all of them. It's a shame there isn't enough funding anymore to make field trips more frequent.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sorry I guess there is a Fox Theatre in GA too! I just assumed :)
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I live about 40 miles south of Atlanta
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, field trips here in my school district (WA State)
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 10:19 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• My dds' class has gone to a nature santuary, a movie (oceans,) a wildlife recovery center, and a trip to the beach.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 27, 2010