cutting child care in california!

What do you think about this? My sister is a single mom of three. she works full time and shes on welfare. What are the moms going to do? Should they leave there kids at home by themselves? Or bring them to work? Or just not work at all??? I can understand why this is happening.. but why don't they just pay for kids ages 1-5? That sounds better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It sounds like they are punishing the people on Welfare that are trying.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Is there any way you could help your sister out?
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 1:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• "I can understand why this is happening.. but why don't they just pay for kids ages 1-5?"

Because the state can no longer afford it. Period. There is no more money. None. Nada.

The Feds can't/won't continue to bail out California. It just can't continue. Those of us who live in other states a strapped for cash too. We don't get free childcare in my state, no matter how broke you are. There are a few openings for HeadStart, with a long, long waiting list, and that's it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• "it takes a village to raise a child"

People used to help each other...now they expect the government to take the roll of community. Why not band together and create an unpaid service each mom donates one day a week to providing care for all? If a mom doesn't provide at least 8 hours of care, she doesn't get to use the service.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I dont understand what people dont get about there being NO MONEY. I wonder if you are one of those same people that gets on here and says "mind your own business" when we question what FS people are spending money on and how they are scamming the system. Hopefully you arent. THOSE are the people that are a BIG part of the problem! If they closed some loopholes and cracked down on the waste there WOULD be money for those in NEEED maybe. But for now they are broke...maybe SOMEONE should look into those sanctuary cities and the illegals across the state that are ALSO costing the state BIG time so those who are doing things RIGHT...like your sister.....are getting screwed. WAY to GO Cali!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• That's right, Lovin. People used to have grandma or a neighbor watch the kids, swap childcare, help each other out. There are ways to get childcare. My mom worked when I grew up, and she made arrangements with the neighbor, or had my grandma watch me. It helped out everyone.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Calf did not choose to have those kids, why should they have to pay for them?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Getting child support from the father(s) would be a good idea, if she isn't already.

Otherwise a babysitting sharing program sounds good. There are ways to reduce childcare costs if you're willing to be creative.

It really isn't the states responsibility to provide people with daycare. People insist that having children is a "right" but then don't seem to want the "responsibilities" that go along with it.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• While her situation sounds tough, it's not the state's responsibility to care for her children. I'm sure there are other moms in her area in a similar situation. Maybe they could take turns watching the kids?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My Mom raised 3 kids after our dad bailed. She did it without child support or public assistance. She made an arrangement with an elderly neighbor. Mom's main job was a nightshift one. Margaret spent the night with us and watched us during the day during the summer or if one of us was sick. Mom kept her yard mowed, took her on errands and provided all the meals. It was a win win situation for everybody.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010