Would you rather make a flat donation to your child's school or buy overpriced fundraiser items?

My kids' schools don't do fundraisers as I did as a child. It is more Auction and donation oriented. I would rather write a check if I could than feel obliged to pay too much for stuff I don't need or ask friends and family to do so.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 1:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in

• I hate fundraisers, because I don't like to pester people I know to buy stuff they don't want or need. I far prefer to just make a donation. Sometimes when they do the cookie dough or merchandise sales I will buy a couple of items myself, but I never, ever go to neighbors homes or call relatives for it. I save the once-per-year "do you wanna buy" for the Girl Scout cookies :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Right! I really dont need a bag of chocolate for $10. I do buy ONE item and thats it. The coolest thing I bought was a giant dry erase calander for my fridge and its kept me organized.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It would not be too bad if they would find different companies and products-- that people actually used and liked. But no, it is the same overpriced junk from the same company every year. I would rather just send a check than look at that overpriced junk. My family is sick of the fundraising phone calls and most have declined (well after 2 kids and 12 years -- with 1 child and 12 yrs to go) I can see their side.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I LOVE the fundraisers that my sister used to do.It was stuff that you would use or gift.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I hate fundraisers! My dd and my ds both had snack box's they had to sell from this year. Once the snack box was signed for by the student you where responsible for $66 period. Didnt matter if you sold it all or not, they didnt want to see that box again at school. I shelled out about $30 of my own money just to make it even. Some parents didnt even bother meeting their quota. Im on the board this year, and things are going to change!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010