what would you do if you found a half pack of cigarettes near a dumpster? is this a good reason to get fired?

my brother used to work for the garbage company, and he got fired yesterday. the reason was an employee of a business stuck her half pack of cigs under the dumpster behind the store to hide them, the store has a no smoking policy. and sometime between then and when the garbage truck came they ended up missing, and my brother was blamed for steeling the cigs that were on the ground next to the dumpster.

i think its a stupid reason to be fired esp with no proof he did it

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My answer to the question with out reading the story was SMOKE THEM! LOL. No, I don't think he should have gotten fired. What kind of dumb ass leaves their smokes under a garbage can and then wonders where they went? People are idiots.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 2:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• He can take them to court about that. If there is no proof then they can't fire him for it. Is it a union job? If it is get him to talk to his union rep...although by the way he got fired I'm going to assume it's not union.

He can definitely fight this.

Even if he HAD taken the smokes, he wasn't caught WITH them, they were under a dumpster therefor seen as GARBAGE and he wasn't caught SMOKING them.
    They have a no smoking policy, that's fine, they can't fire someone for smoking in their free time.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• They were looking for a reason to fire him. It could have been something else, but it would have happened any way. Since they can't prove it was him, it's likely he'll be able to collect.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think its stupid too if they are just accusing him. That is unfair..but maybe this is a good thing and some awesome job will crop up in replacement.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• That in my opinion is a very stupid reason to fire someone ! How can they prove that he did ??? An she shouldn't have put them there if she was sooo worried about them !
    nickynova

Answer by nickynova at 2:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• that is weird, there had to be more to the story!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• What? Number one - if you leave your cigs sitting outside (even hidden) and they wind up missing...that's just tough crap for you.

Number two - without proof, it's always stupid to make accusations.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with you, that is a stupid reason to be fired
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would have tossed them in the trash--where they belong--yuck! LOL And how did the employee know it was your brother? Did he admit to throwing them away?! If anything the employee should have THANKED him! LOL I'm thinking there is more to the story, or that this was the last strike?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• the garbage allows smoking on the job, however the store the woman worked for, then one who hid the cigs, doesnt allow smoking on the store property by employees.
    gothmama91

Comment by gothmama91 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2010