should a mother of a sixteen year old allow her to get a tattoo, and if so should she pay for it?

and if so, should the mother pay for it?

Meemee1096

Asked by Meemee1096 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Absolutely not they are not ready for such permanent decisions

karglynn

Answer by karglynn at 2:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No and No. Tattoo's are permanent (my husband and I have a few between the two of us, and we have 2 daughters) so at my house you can get a tattoo when you are 18 and you can use your own money.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 2:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If the mother is fine with it, then I see no reason not to let her have the tattoo. But, I'd make the 16 year old pay for it. Maybe she'll have some time to rethink such a permanent thing while working for the money to pay for it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• The mother should only allow it if she, the mother, wants to allow it. I personally would have the daughter pay for it if she wants one that bad that she can't wait for two years. I have a tattoo. I am not going to tell my kids that they can't have one but dh and I have already agreed that they can wait until they are 18 and pay for it themselves. I got mine while I was in college.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Why not? If my DD wants a tattoo at 16 and knows for sure what she wants and her daddy is not there to tattoo her I will galdly take her and pay for it. My mom paid for I think 3 of my 12!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Check your laws. In some states it is against the law. I wouldn't sign for my daughter to get a tattoo nor would I pay for it. Hopefully, my children will have common sense when they are older.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't. A 16 year old is still growing and that tattoo could stretch and become distorted especially if it's a significant growth spurt like I had near the end of my growing years.
    There is a reason they say 18 years old and it's not JUST because it's the age of a legal adult, it's because most people have grown as much as they're going to by that point.

If it's somewhere that isn't likely to stretch and you're comfortable with what your 16 year old wants to get then sure, go for it. But make they should pay for it themselves.
    If they want it badly enough, they'll save up and get it.

If it's something completely ridiculous that they want to get then don't sign anything allowing them to get it. Let them have two years to really think about that one. Lol!

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes my mom got me my first tatoo for my 16th birthday and my kids are getting theirs then also if they want it.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It is up to the mother, but I personally would not allow it. I have a tats my self and know how permanent they are and I was very lucky in that the one that i chose is minor and nothing I am ashamed to have now.

Once you're 18 and have your own money you can do whatever you like.. that's my policy
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't know about anyone else but i iknow the things i like and my general view on the world has changed so drasticly since i was 16! i would not allow because i would regret any tattoo that i may have gotten at that age and that was only 5 years ago.thats just my opinion though.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 2:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010