losing interest in his bottle...

my son is 6 months old an he is losing interest in his bottle... hell eat maybe an ounce an thats it.. wants to play play play an play.. if we bring out his normal food he appears to want that more then his milk! hell eat it like hes never eaten it before =/

is this normal?? how do i get him to want his milk again??

akalei

Asked by akalei at 2:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try putting it in a sippy cup instead of a bottle.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• This is normal with some babies. Get the milk into him in his cereal and any other way you can. Sippy cup is great idea and some babies this young can master a straw too. Check with ped how much milk he needs to have at this age. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Try a faster flow nipple.. Always formula/breastmilk first solids second. His digetive tract isn't mature enough to extract nutrients efficiently, so avoid the temptation even if he is gung ho as it will make him too full. Also offer more in the morning before he gets too busy and in the evening when he is tired. he may start wanting 2 or 3 night feeds to make up for it. As long as her gets the amount he needs in a day when doesn't matter.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• try a sippy cup...my dd was like that at 6 months and we put it in a sippy cup and it worked lol.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• so we tried the sippy cup an it doesnt work =/ he just sat there an held it haha. and as for cereal.. thats a no go.. he hates that stuff
    akalei

Comment by akalei (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yeah, kids are wiggly at that age, huh? And they just get even more wiggly!!! :)

My son went through something similar. He's got a short attention span and likes this new "food" thing a lot more than his formula. I would just give him his bottle before bringing out the food (so he doesn't see the food and want that instead). Are you using the fast flow nipples? I know Gerber makes them... it helped to get more milk in him faster before he took to a sippy.

I also put formula into his oatmeal (usually with fruit) or in other foods to get a little more nutrition in him on those days when he just didn't want much milk. Peaches and "cream", or sweet potato with formula and a little powdered ginger or cinnamon are really yummy!! Even mashed potatoes or rice can be made with formula.

He also drank more if I snuggled with him in his dark room before a nap or at bed time (when he wanted the comfort) and gave him a bottle.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Always offer the breastmilk or formula first. Cut back on the food if you have to. They haaaave to have the breastmilk or foamula till a year. They can live without food. Its important that he gets that :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2010