I feel so down...

I know the title is not really a question, but I do have one. :)

My daughter is 3 and I feel like the only time she is quiet and calm is when she is watching TV. I HATE the kind of mom I am becoming. I let her watch TV a lot, and I NEVER thougth I would be that kind of mom.

I guess I am just stuck right now. I need ideas on how to engage her, and teach her how to listen better. I need suggestions on how to be more patient. I am disgusted with the

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not that bad that she watches tv. But if she does, PBS has educational television like "Sesame Street" so she gets something out of watching television. And as long as you know she's watching television you can have some "me time" for yourself. Also, going to the park for an hour or so during the day helps provide a change of scenery for you and your child. Just some suggestions tho.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I know how you feel. My 3.5 year old son is watching Mighty Machines beside me right now...

One thing I've found that he really likes to do is help me cook and bake. We make pancakes from scratch and I will measure the ingredients out and he dumps them in the bowl and mixes them together.
    It takes twice as long as when I just make them myself but he loves it and feels proud of himself after.

Making supper I will peel and chop up the veggies and he puts the peels in the bin and the chopped up veggies into their pots. I fill them with water and he puts the lids on.

He also likes to be outside a lot. I have a small, very closed in backyard so I can let him out to play by himself a lot which is awesome. He builds construction sites in the dirt with his little trucks. lol

Don't be too hard on yourself.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Don't feel too bad! I did the same thing when my son was that age and I swear I felt the same exact way you do- guilty but grateful for some peace and quiet! Well the other thing is that at that age, my son just LOVED the TV... and he would watch it probably all day long if I had let him. He outgrew that around 4, he's now 5. He still likes TV, but it's different- he's also interested in doing other things. Don't stress yourself out too much... try to include your little one in things that YOU would like to do- shopping, seeing a friend, take yourself out for a latte and get them chocolate milk- just whatever gets you up and going until you start feeling more like yourself again... sometimes we let ourselves go so long we do feel stuck- but your little ones will be exited just to be doing something fun with you and seeing you enjoy yourself and your time with them. :-)
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 12:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Talk to her. Kids have some great things to say most of the time.
    Play dress up, play card and board games. My kid loves candy land, go fish, matching card game, and guess who.
    Set up an art center for her with paint, crayons, construction paper, poster board, and fun stuff like that and do it with her.
    Take walks together and let her tell you about stuff.
    Take her to play mini golf or bowling (usually very cheap or free for 3 and under).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Have you taking her to your local library they may haves story time for toddlers or a children's museum near you.
    Or which types of shows does she watch.....is it something that you can incorporate into parenting like if she is not good she is not allowed to watch her favorite TV shows.
    Have you tried timeouts if done correctly they can be very effective.
    Once she is on time out, explain to her why she is on time out and then leave her there, but the key is do not talk to her ,if she gets up you put her right back. it may take a while but she will understand.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I know how you feel. My 3.5 year old runs me down. There have been times when I couldn't wait until Monday morning and the work week. One thing I found that my son & I have in common is that we enjoy imaginative play. He likes to play with his little doctor kit and give me check ups. Then he'll tell me to take a nap so I'll feel better. LOL He also likes giving me "hair cuts" especially if he's recently had one. I've noticed recently he's enjoyed playing by himself, but he prefers to have someone near. Our computers are in our playroom so that works out quite well for all of us. When he gets too wild & crazy that's when we go for a walk to get some of that energy out.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• One of the things I found out about myself is I DON'T LIKE NOISE. As a parent that can be a problem. I have learned to give myself quiet time every day and to let myself be around constructive noise. But constant chatter is annoying. I had to learn to talk to my daughter so that she wouldn't chatter incessantly. I worked with her on conversation skills and discussions. It is difficult. But encourage her to talk about things that are important and it will work wonders. Good luck.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2010