How can you stop your childs father from cursing excessively around them?

so SO gets in the car when i picked him up from work, and as usual, he gets in griping about something and in his first sentence is 5 curse words, and i have a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old sitting in the backseat. and everyday i say to him, can you watch your tongue, i dont want them picking up on those words, can you "turn it off" once you leave work and try not to curse as much around them. so today he gets in ranting about someone saying "F this shit, and im not a bitch, etc" so i said "ADRIAN, could you please stop with all the cursing' and he just gets pissed at me, like oh i just got off work, and im a grown ass man i can say what i want to say, and well maybe you need to get some filters for their ears, and no one censored themself around us as kids, and oh im sick of you as soon as i get in you start running your mouth, and im like WTH? if you were grown you wouldnt want your kids to hear those things, was i wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everytime he says those words i would remind him and say "please dont use those BAD words around our kids." That way the children know that what dad is saying is BAD. They will start repeating them too b/c it's just another word to them if you dont correct it. And....shame on him!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My husband gets mad at me too when I want him to stop saying certain things. I tell him he needs to be more considerate of the people he lives with. I just stick to my ground and don't give up. I know that change is hard for most men and they will change just takes them alot longer. I also inform my husband the minute my son uses the Lord's name in vain on it's own or with the *F* word...There will be hell to pay...because I want my son to Respect The words Jesus and God and not use them the way his dad does.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Have your kids started repeating what he's saying?

I've got a few suggestions. Could you tell your SO that you are happy to let him vent...when you get home. If he's not good with that, could you make it a game? For every curse word he says in front of the kids, he has to put money in the 'potty mouth jar.' It could be a penny, nickel, quarter, dollar etc. I know it sounds silly, but if he keeps up, you're going to have to have a potty mouth jar for your kids anyways.
    When they start recognizing that he's using bad words, it'll be fun for them to tell Daddy to put money in the jar.

I would also talk to your kids (even in front of him) that the words Daddy uses are not nice words and what other words could Daddy use instead? That will surely p*ss him off, but they have to learn now that those words are bad.

Good luck! I'm sure it's hard if he sees nothing wrong with it.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 3:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't we both have truck driver mouths. But my DD does not. We have explained when she has repeted that those are grown up words and when she is a grown up she can use them. It really is not that hard. You can not tell a person how to talk but you can tell your children what is approprate for them to say.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• for delilahsmom what do you do when your child starts repeating those things at school or daycare or with a sitter? just because she doesnt use them around you doesnt mean she will never use them since she hears them regularly. my DD knows what bad words are and that they are ugly and she isnt supposed to use them, but they pick up on the behavior that we model.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• She has not ever done that and I have left her in a daycare setting and a sitter several times. She understands she should not say those things. I would not allow her to go into a tattoo parlor and get a tattoo because she is two years old and that is a grown up thing. Does that mean I should not get anymore? I won't give her a beer to drink should her dad not have a beer should I not have a beer. Children need to lern grown us can do and say things that children can not. I am not her equal!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• She is not my equal I should say.
    delilahsmom1177

• my 7 year old year all most 8 year old says bad words from his dad and tell his dad to not say bad words but he does any way he gets mad when i ask him to stop saying them
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I don't allow cussing around my kids, or in front of me. My husband always apologizes if he slips in front of me, because he's a gentleman. I'm sure this behavior isn't new in your SO, it's just never bothered you before and now you realize it's important for him not to do it. I would think any adult would realize that it's not appropriate language for a child to hear. Personally, I think it's shows a lack of respect for the person you are talking to and a lack of good taste on the part of the person saying it.

Answer by missanc at 4:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• THEY ARE WORDS!!! WHY DOES NOBODY UNDERSTAND!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010