This question might be silly but I really need to know if it's true??

My first baby I gained only 16 pds with her and she was only 5 pds 5 1/2 ounces and 17 and 3/4 long. I'm pregnant with my second and it's a boy or so that's what they say he is on my pics on my page and everyone else says when they look at him there is no denying it. I have only gained 7 pds with this pregnancy so far then I lost 3 when I was weighed 2 wks ago I'm 18 wks pregnant and because he is a boy my husband seems to think that I'm going to get huge and he is going to be huge. All his girls that were born from the previous marriage were 7 to 8 pds but his boys however, one was 9 pds and the other was induced cause they thought he would be 12 pds but he was 10 pds. So my question is does this mean I'm going to get big as a house like they did and have a 9 to 10 pder too I'm 5 months and I look like I'm 6 in a half months I look huge to be 18 wks and it's all in the belly so does this mean that he will be big to!!!

MrsMorton080508

Asked by MrsMorton080508 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How much weight you gain doesn't necessarily mean how big your baby will be. My sister and I had little girls 9 days apart. Their dads are brothers. My sister gained 60 pounds and her daughter was 6 lbs even. I gained 23 and my daughter was 8-10. All 5 of my children I have gained from 12lbs to 27lbs and the smallest was 7-5 and my largest was my daughter at 8-10. Just because his other boys were big with a different mom doesn't mean your son will be. Just take it in stride.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• belly size is no indication of baby size. Every mom and baby is different. Your ob can estimate once you get closer to term.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I really don't know. My first was also a girl and she was 6 pounds. My second was a boy and he was 8 pounds.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Let me say first my sister had HUGE babies and they were all a couple of weeks early. They weighed between 8 to 10lbs. My dad's mom all her babies were 9 or more pounds. I was sure I was going to have HUGE children. I have 2 boys, my oldest was 6lbs 13oz, he was late. My youngest was 2 weeks early and weighed 5lbs on the dot. Is is possible yes, he could be big, but I would think since the one was small, I am sure this one may be a little bigger but I don't think he will be HUGE. KWIM. LOL
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• My DD was 8lbs 1oz and I gained 6 pounds with her. I lost 25 in the first for months from morning sickness.

My DS was only 7lbs 9oz and I gained 9 pounds with him after losing 8 pounds in the beginning.

Boys are not always bigger. I will say though that I was HUGE in the belly with him. With my DD everything was more spread out but with my DS it was all baby. It looked like I had a big basket ball in my belly.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have never gained more than 22 lbs, but my kids have ranges in size from 7 lbs 7 oz to 8 lbs 9 oz - how much weight you gain has no bearing on what size baby you will have.

Answer by missanc at 3:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• How big you get is no indication of the weight your baby will be at birth. I was of BEHEMOTH porportion when I had my second DD, and she was only 7lbs 15ozs. I didn't get nearly that big with my first, and she was 8lbs 10.5ozs.

Also, just because his ex had big babies, doesn't mean YOU will. As nature would have it, usually your babies don't get bigger than you can deliver...she was probably just able to birth bigger babies than you will be able to.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2010