So where do I start to clean up?

My son has autism. With the autism, he has meltdowns. When he has meltdowns, I make him go to his room. While there, he often throws things. He also plays in his room and his toys are in there. When he looks for something, he just dumps his stuff. I work full time and I had taken on some extra duties around the beginning of and April and do not often have time to put it all to rights when this happens. Now his room is a complete mess and I don't think any thing is in the drawers, on the shelves or in the toy bins any more. I just look at his room and have no idea where to begin and I just walk out. And it doesn't clean itself and it gets worse. Where do I even begin to start to put it back into order.? Please don't say "get him to do it", I let it go to bad and it would just overwhelm him too.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would start with a trash bag. Give yourself a time limit. A little bit every colple of days. You decide if he can help or not. My sister could not take change so when my mom worked in her room she couldn't be there. If trashing is a normal occurance having less will make it easier to see what needs to go where.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Just start by the door and make your way around the room. If your wanting to do it in one day, take cleaning breaks. Like clean for a half hour then take a break for fifteen minutes. You can do it. :)
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It normally doesn't get that bad. I usually have him clean up a bit at a time, but this time he had an issue before we had to leave for the day and it was one of those weeks where we were on teh go a lot and it just seemed to pile up and I kept saying "I'll get to it" and I never did because it had gotten out of control... Bad Mom!! LOL!

frustrated

layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I always start with making the bed, then getting the laundry all together, next comes garbage. Then you can sort through everything else.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe you need to get rid of some of his things? I know my kids have way too much stuff in their rooms. Sometimes I put some things away for a few months, then rotate what they have in their rooms. I mean, how many toys can they play with at one time anyway lol?
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 6:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If you have shelves in his room you should get some small-medium sized plastic bins. Label them by spacific things; cars, blocks, puzzles, art supplies, playdo, etc. Then label each bin with a picture of whatever belongs in it. That way when you ask your son to clean up his room he can match his toys to the correct bin. I just spent 3 hours cleaning my kid's rooms and if we had shelves in their rooms I would've loved to do it this way. And then to keep it clean before bed time have him help you clean up the room and other toys around the house.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 3:41 AM on Jun. 27, 2010