Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dogs and raisins

so this morning my 6 month old American Staffordshire terrier who weighs approx 40 lbs ate a piece of my daughters raisin toast with grape jelly on it. At first i was like ahhh he'll be alright but then i realized how bad for dogs raisins are. There were probably 10 raisins max that he ate. It happened around 10-11 am. I called his vet and she told me how to induce vomiting. It worked he threw up a good bit (actually an entire bowl of food) he has eaten since then, he doesnt normally drink too much and when he does its out of the toilet so i cant really measure it. He's napping right now with my other dogs. My uestion is, do any of you know or are someone whos dog ingested raisins and was ok? I dont have a car to take him to the ER right now so im trying to do some research before i panic. I tried to call ASPCA poison control but they want 60 bucks hst to be on the phone!

 
Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 3:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

Level 12 (672 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • In order for him to be poisoned by raisins, he would have to eat an entire bag of them.

    Inducing vomiting can actually cause more harm then good. Vomiting can leave tiny tears in the esophagus which can cause bleeding and a host of other problems.

    I can't see that the ASPCA poison control would charge you 60 dollars to talk to them, something isn't right there. Maybe you called the wrong number or something.

    Keep an eye on him and google the symptoms of grape/raisin poisoning in dogs.
    Acid

    Answer by Acid at 11:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • I know that grapes can be toxic TOXIC to dogs, so I would imagine raisens are not ok.If you want him to be ok....take him in. good luck mom.
    Bearsjen

    Answer by Bearsjen at 3:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN