I breastfeeding but would like to start my DS on goats milk. Is he to young?

I'm breastfeeding my 12 month old DS and I'm going to continue breastfeeding but I would like to also start my DS on goats milk because I'm not responding well to the pump anymore and he likes to have a cup of milk when he goes to the church nursery or when I have to go take a test at school.

I gave my DD goats milk when I started going to school and she started daycare twice a week but she was 18 months old then. I was only able to pump about 6 ounces a day at that point so she would drink a BM cup at lunch before nap and a goats milk cup later in the day when she got cranky.

We chose goats milk since it's the closest milk to human milk.

Anyone have any experience with this? If you gave it to your 12 month old did he do okay with it?

miasmommy21407

Asked by miasmommy21407 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he should be fine. and by the way... congrats on BFing for a full year!!!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Thanks!!
    miasmommy21407

Comment by miasmommy21407 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• 12 months is typically the age recommended (as a minimum) to switch to milk. Goats milk is fine, it doesn't have to be cows milk. So no, not too young :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have heard good thngs about it though he doesn't need it. Water is fine. If its his desire and comfort i haven't heard anything negative digestively..

This site can help with your pumping to make you session efficient and double your output' http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Goat's milk should be fine, your son is over the age when breastmilk or formula would be the sole recommendation.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010