39 weeks 4 days. A little TMI question.

I leaked some brown blood just a little bit ago. I've had pregnancies before, but this has never happened. I haven't been checked since Thursday. And my contractions are starting, but I've had lots of false labor. What does the brown blood mean?

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It could very well be your mucus plug :)

Answer by nickynova at 4:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It means older blood. The brighter red it is, the fresher. The more brown, the older. It's what happens to blood once it's been around oxygen for a while.
    Not sure what this has to do with the pregnancy though.
    I started spotting brown blood right after I lost the mucus plug then the contractions started that night (on a Thursday) and I had her on Saturday evening.
    You may want to ask the doctor to be sure, as it could be something different with each person.
    Good luck.

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• As nickynova said It could be your mucuos plug--or at least a part of it. I never saw mine for my first pregnancy, but I saw it for my last one.

Answer by layh41407 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I to would say it is your mucus plug!

Answer by mom2wy at 4:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'd say mucus plug.

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Your body is cleaning out old blood plus that could be a sign that labor is coming! Now it could still be a few weeks but that's just what I've experienced, perfectly normal. As always though, if it still concerns you talk to your doctor =)

Answer by YoungMother1792 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010