Does anyone know what could cause joint pain in cats?

Our cat has been getting into fights alot lately n had scratches and hair loss. Also he had a boil on his lower back above his tail n it popped on its own. So I called the vets and they dont have any type of help in this area for ppl who dont have money for vets. Hubby was out of work for 2mths and has been back for a wk n a half. So she had me call the SPCA. I talked to the lady there and she said it could be feline luekemia which there is nothing they could do if that is the case except make cat comfotable or putting cat down. She said the only other thing she could think of is if there is maybe another infection that is deep and is still trying to work its way up to the surface. She said if that was the case then we wouldnt know it till the infection surfaced and it would have to come out for us to see it. I feel so bad for him! I dont know what to do for him. We have been letting him rest. Anyone go through this b4? TNX

mom2wy

Asked by mom2wy at 3:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pets

• cats can have arthritis too
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Is your cat neutered? The "boil" you mentioned sounds like an abcess. usually unneutered male cats fight alot. even if he is neutered the fact that you said he has been fighting makes me really think abcess. An abcess is an infection under the skin and is full of puss. If the wound is still open you need to hot soak it a few times a day a keep the scabs off and hole open so it can drain. If you can take his temp (rectally) if could give you a good idea to if he is really sick. I have seen cats with abcesses with temps over 106 (101 - 102) is normal. Sorry this is kind of long, trying to help when I'm exhausted. If you have any questions you can pm me and I can get back to you tomorrow. GL
    Vet Tech
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 2:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010