This is taken from anther question. Is the US penal system too gentle?

I read the question about life in prison or death penalty. As I was trying to think of an answer, I started having my own questions. Murderers, rapists, child pornographers, child molesters, drug dealers, all of these people and more are being housed in a cell with heat and air that is paid for with our taxes. They get free television, food, education, and many other "luxuries". Crimes are out of control, humanity has lost respect for one another, and I think it is all because our justice system. Is our justice system too soft? What should we do to those who break the law?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well I have two opinions on the matter..

in cases of rape/murder/ child molesters: I think death penalty. Now by murder I mean cold blood. Not i was driving down the road and some kid ran in front of me and I couldn't avoid it manslaughter. I mean that situation is tragic in it's own self. or not in cases of obvious self defense.

As for paying for them, a jail system could be more self sufficient than most of them are. They could have a more self supporting food system than they do. Rather than "recreational" time, the inmates could be farming in a confined area. Thus cutting back on cost of food. They could also be making their own clothing and linens. Thus saving cutting cost. Prison isn't suppose to be fun. It's punishment for breaking the law, and they need to treat it more as such. The less time you give them to act out, the less problems you'd have in a prison system.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It is far too soft. Sure everyone makes a mistake from time to time, but if you purposely take a life or rape someone or molest a kid, then you shouldn't get another chance. It should be game over, death on the day you're convicted.
    As for other less serious crimes, they need to set the sentence and keep it. That "released for good behavior" thing is a joke. Of course they are good when they have no temptation. You can't rape a woman if you're surrounded by men. You can't steal a car if you aren't around them.
    Three felony strikes, you're in for life.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with Kisismommmy.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Sorry I meant kiwis not kisis.
    TBandNCmommy

• Well even though they murdered and killed and molested they still have rights and I think we should not allow them to have more rights then the people they victimize. My friend and I suggested that violent killers and the like should earn their right to stay one more year in prison what do you think?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Pinkdragon, how would they earn the right to stay another year?
    Truly curious, not just being a smart ass. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010