What can I put in a thermos for lunch or other lunch ideas besides sandwiches

My DS starts camp tomorrow (I have to go back to work, I teach ESY). They do not want you to send heat ups over the summer and they recommend cold lunches as they might be outside, but my DS will not eat sandwiches. I know my mom used to put soup and ravioli and stuff in our thermoses when I was a kid. Anyone have any other ideas? How about cold lunches that aren't sandwiches?

Asked by layh41407 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Hot dogs and buns with ketchup and mustard packets .

Answer by nickynova at 4:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Cereal with a little cold thermo of milk :)

Answer by nickynova at 4:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• what about crackers and luncheon meat?

Answer by Decker at 4:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Any thing warm - pasta, soups, casserole - pour boiling water into the thermos first, leave it there about 5 minutes, then dump it, dry it out (carefully) and put the warm food in. It will stay warmer that way,. Same in reverse - put the thermos (open) in the freezer overnight and send cold cut veggies or chicken salad/tuna salad/etc. the next day. If she won't do sandwiches, will she do roll ups? Anything you put on a sandwich you can put on a tortilla and roll it up, suddenly they think it's cool.

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Kids get an appetite being outdoors. I would try to pack some favorites in the lunchbox like pudding or jelly-o in addition to the thermos'. Since the thermos is good for keeping foods hot I would put things I know my child would eat like fried chicken, barbecued chicken (either the legs) or in small edible pieces, and throw in lots of napkins. If the thermos can keep foods cold, I would put in another one potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad, etc. if your child likes specific salads. Only suggestions tho.

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message offlist if would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Chips and salsa. Chicken noodle soup. Mac and Cheese.

I have use the thermos for cold fruit like melon. Keeps it crisp.

Answer by MommyId at 9:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010