2nd Baby Shower

I am pregnant with my second child. A few friends want to throw me another baby shower, and because I wasn't able to be at my first (preterm labor) I agreed. My mother is throwing a fit about it! She threw my first one and said people will not come to my second one. She says it it rude to ask for more gifts after they already bought us some 3 years ago. I wasn't planning on registering for gifts or anything, we kept most of our items from our son (although we still don't know the sex of this baby) I would just like to enjoy my baby shower.... Is this as terrible as she is making it out to be???

danielleaube

Asked by danielleaube at 4:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it's just fine ! It's a new baby and just because you already have one there is no reason the 2ed can't be just as celebrated :)
    nickynova

Answer by nickynova at 4:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• some ppl thinks u dont suppose to throw more than 1 babyshower cause its rude but i think if u want to then do it with my 2nd which happen to be a boy i had nothing and not only that my kids father left me & 7months pregnant so i needed alot of things wayy before baby came i had no job no nothing so the babyshower helped me alot but ..i think its really up to you
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 4:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate your new baby. Tell your mom to chill out!
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No! Go, have fun, enjoy yourself. Why not celebrate being pregnant with this baby as you were going to with the first?
    You can even specify on the invitations that you don't want any gifts.
    I went to one where it was specified "no gifts" and it just said to bring a game or game idea for everyone to play. It was fun seeing what everyone thought of.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No, especially as you weren't even able to be at your first.

I'm not having a second one because I'm having another girl, and my shower for my other daughter was less than 3 years ago. We still have everything.

But to be honest, if I were having a boy and someone wanted to throw me a shower - I wouldn't think twice about agreeing. I've been to several second-showers, and if I were against it, I just wouldn't have gone.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• thank you all so much!
    danielleaube

Comment by danielleaube (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. I think all babies need to be celebrated. You might think about doing a diaper and wipes party. Because no matter how many kids you have you will always need diapers and wipes.
    katrinad

Answer by katrinad at 4:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would definitely have one! Just don't register anywhere... Lol! People will still bring gifts anyway! A baby shower is to celebrate the upcoming arrival of the new baby anyway.. Not so much the gifts. Kinda like your baby's first birthday party, lol!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• No it is not. Esp if your friends offered to do it. I had a shower with my first but not with my second, they were both girls. This time around I am having a boy so I had another shower to get some items that I needed that I no longer had, baby boy stuff, a new tub, new towels, etc etc. I would say let your friends throw your shower and just have a good time.
    pcricket1008

Answer by pcricket1008 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I think it's a great idea! you should be able to experience that and it sucks that you weren't able to the first time around. some people have baby showers for every single baby they have. i think it's totally up to you. I don't think that anyone will see this as rude and people will definitely show up:)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 3:08 AM on Jun. 27, 2010