whats the most effective way to get my 7 month old to sleep in his crib?

i cant get him to sleep in his crib even if i put him in there after he has fallen asleep within 20 minutes he is up screaming and i cant get him to fall asleep with out breast feeding him til he falls asleep

veronicamw

Asked by veronicamw at 4:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding baby to sleep is the easiest way to go! It is like having a magic wand that you can wave to get them to sleep! Don't worry, your baby will still learn to fall asleep with out breastfeeding when they are older. I always nursed my kids to sleep, every night, until they were over a year old.
    For me it is easiest to bring baby into bed with me. She does start the night in her side-car crib. I nurse her and then wait for her to get into a deep sleep then I can lay her down. I do this for naps as well. I nurse her until she is in a deep sleep and then put her in her crib and she takes a good 2 1/2 hour nap.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Every child is different and what will work for each child is different. That being said, this is what works for my children. I put them in their bed/crib when they are tired but awake. I make sure that they are clean, dry and comfortable. Then, I walk away. They may fuss for a bit or even cry for a few minutes but they always fall asleep. I do believe that CIO works. However, whenever a child starts to scream, it is my opinion that they need to be comforted. So, that's what we do with our kids. Let them cry (not scream) it out.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wish I could help! I have the same problem with my 5 month old and it's frustrating. The only way to get her to sleep is to nurse her. Then, I lay her down and she'll only sleep between 10-30 minutes. At night, the most she sleeps is 3 1/2 hours. When I used to swaddle her, she'd sleep more, but now she is so strong she breaks out of the swaddle so it's pointless. Maybe yours still likes to be swaddled? You could try that. Otherwise, I don't know. I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of waiting another month and then maybe trying CIO in 5 minute increments. We'll see.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Not much advice from me. I see no problem with breastfeeding my baby to sleep and we cosleep. She won't be little for long and I know I'll miss these cuddle moments.

It might help to be sure that you put him down in DEEP sleep, not light sleep. Also if it is during the day let him sleep in whatever room you happen to be in. Babies tend to sleep better with ambient noise rather than pin quiet. They feel safter knowing people are around.

I don't go by the philosophy that I must put her to sleep. When she's tired she sleeps. IF she's tired she will fall asleep after nursing and if not she stays up. I don't ever make her sleep. She s generally the one who usually insists we go to bed at night and she's been doing that since around 5 months old and she's 9 m now.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• If I want to get chores done and she wants to nap, I wear her on my back in a mei tai and she falls asleep. It's win win. I do what I need and she gets what she needs.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• im no help trying to figure out the same thing my son hates the crib he cries before i put him down
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 5:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• i just cosleep its easier
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 5:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• just lay him down and wlak away.....thas what we do...we got tired of fighting with our son to get him to sleep....he crys but he eventually cries himself to sleep....
    CJK_2009

Answer by CJK_2009 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2010