So why is it that my family hates me anyway?

I used to try to invite my cousin (we're the only girls, neither of us has sisters, just a bunch of brothers) to go do things with me, she was always busy. They had to work cows or it was hay season or some such nonsense. After it was over I would always find out that she had gone by herself. So this year its my nieces graduation so I asked my cousin if she would like to take my niece somewhere with me, thought it would be fun for my niece to go with the "grown ups" well its hay season so my cousin couldn't go of course. I found out today that she and my niece are going without me. What the hell is wrong with my family? Its not just my cousin either, its the majority of my family, they've always treated me like this. For the last 5 years I've lived away from them because of my husband, I got a divorce and moved back. Obviously I'm reminded why I moved away in the first place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Well, I'm in a similar situation with a guy I thought was a friend who decided to use me and cast me off. Right now I'm just trying to remind myself that my value does not come from another person's judgment. It sounds to me like your cousin has always played games like this and as much as it hurts because you genuinely care about people, some people are just going to suck. There is no answer and they are not going to be fixed. Sorry. I hope you have at least one good person in your life you know you can trust. Maybe that's all we get, really.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• We have that problem too. So does my mom with her inlaws. We're not invited to things, our kids aren't and my mom said her inlaws exclude her and her hubby too. My inlaws ignore us except for holidays. then they call us about food and gifts. But my husband sees his dad enough(once a month) to ignore it. We almost never see my MIL b/c she's a freak. She's obsessed with my niece, never invited our girls over or out so we just ignore her right back. I don't have much to do with my brother, he (I feel) is in his own world where if you don't do things like he does them, you're not normal. Soooo I see him once a year at the lake w/my mom. That's fine. It sucks but oh well. Just cling to the family you see often, accept how things are and it hurts but just accept the things you cannot change! You'll be happier.
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 2:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2010