How do you feel about Assisted Suicide?

I was watching a documentary on it. They followed a guy who went to Switzerland to die and it made me a little emotional. I always felt like it should be just as accepted as other medical procedures but I tend to be torn when placing myself or other loved ones in that position. I think his decision to go on and end his life was justified. He was scared; I'd be, too. lol

Before anyone says it's playing God, I want you to ponder something. Modern medicine tends to save lives that would otherwise not exist if not for it. So, do you agree then that saving lives is just as much playing God as taking lives? Where does one draw the line then?

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 4:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If someone is in their right mind (not in horrible pain at the time or on any meds) and decides that they want to end their life because all they have to look forward to is more pain, being a burden to their family, and slowly deteriorating until they just wither up and die, they should have the right to end their life on their terms.
    But, like I said, I feel the decision needs to be made on their own, while they aren't on any medications that could alter their minds, or in any horrible pain when they say "yeah, end it". It needs to be rational.
    I know, if I ever get cancer or something and it is hopeless, all treatments have failed, and all I have to look forward to is my family watching me slowly die, I will find a way to end it with or without help.
    Why make someone go through that alone? If you can give me the means to do it easier and less messy, why should that get you in trouble?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I support it. I strongly believe if someone wants to end their life, they should be able to do so.

Their body, their life, their choice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I agree with Mancos! Everyday women argue about their right to choose, and are legally given that option. Yet when it comes to ending our OWN lives, suddenly it's "frowned upon?"

My husband and I agree that if either of us were terminally ill or in a vegetative state/brain dead, that we would NOT want to continue to suffer or put our children through any of the pain, and we would either allow the other to die peacefully as they wished, or find them the means to do it themselves. We consider it the final display of love for one another.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I really don't know. It is one of those subjects that I just don't think about. It gets to complicated.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm completely for assisted suicide! if somebody is suffering and is on all sorts of medicine, they are just on borrowed time anyways.
    I watched a show a while ago and an elderly lady was turning 80. She was very sharp and healthy but on a lot of medication. She was intending on stopping her medication sometime during that 80th year. Her reason? She had a good life and wanted to die remembering it and didn't want to end up in a nursing home! I found comfort in this and maybe that's what I will do too!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 4:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Ditto what Kiwismommy said.

While it would sadden me if someone in my life made this choice. It's their choice to make. If I really loved them why would I want to watch them suffer if they have chosen another option?

OP are you referring to the story about the couple? I saw a special that did kind of disturb me but I still feel it was their call to make; but an elderly couple one of them was ill; gravely...but the other was not...yet they wanted to go out a la Romeo & Juliet; I can't remember who was sick but I feel like it was the husband and the wife was just not willing to live the last few years without him and decided she wanted to go when he did; so they made plans to go to a clinic in Europe; Switzerland I think; and end their lives together there...amazing love but very sad...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have seen people who were not bad but said if they got bad they would not be allowed to linger and if a person knows while they are still okay they are not going to get any better they should have said choice to make while they still can. I agree it should be the persons choice.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Beachmommaof2, I remember seeing clips of that epidsode. But the one I saw today was about a man dying of ALS. But in reference to that couple, I think I'd feel the same way. I don't think I could imagine spending my old age alone and would want to die alongside my husband, too.
    aluvk4evr

Comment by aluvk4evr (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I actually support it, in terminal cases, when the individual makes the choice for him/herself without outside pressure.I think its sad we'll offer this kind of humane-ness to our animals, but not to our family/friends.

I think Kiwismommy said it better than I could, though.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I strongly support it... Live in a state where it is legal. And I voter for it both times it was on the ballot.

I personally would never want to live what little life a may have left in misery. Period. The right to choose whether to live in misery or not, when death is the inevitable end should be mine and mine alone.. I feel that those nearest and dearest to me have the same right to make that choice for themselves as well.. Even people I do not know, will never know, or even know of, should have the right to choose how they want to live out or end their lives.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2010