I wish I knew _____.

What do you wish you had been taught during your prenatal classes?
I am studying to be a childbirth educator and I want to make sure my classes cover everything.
Is there something that you wish you had been told/taught before you went into labor?
Also, if you didn't take prenatal classes why?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 4:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Exactly what they meant by breastfeeding as soon as possible after birth. Did they mean immediately upon dd's entrance into the world? Or after cleaned and weighed? It would have been nice to know before I was in L&D, and I'm still not 100% sure what they mean.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didn't take any classes. I already knew the basics, like feeding, bathing, changing diapers and clothes, taking temps and all that kind of stuff. I'd been around a lot of babies growing up, had cared for them as babies and young kids.
    I figured anything I didn't know, I'd just wing it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wish I knew that I would never get sleep ever again :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didnt take classes. I read a bazillion books on what to do AFTER baby was here but figured as far as the actual labor goes that my body would know what to do, and it did!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didn't take prenatal classes. They spend too much time on grooming polite patients and scaring women with pain, rather than empowering a woman to have a powerful birth and follow her instincts.

I gave birth at home. I talked to women who birth their babies without drugs. I also read books on natural birth, water birth, and hypno birth. There is notjing more useful than self confidence and belief that birth is normal and not a medical event to be orchestrated.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didnt take any classes because my son came before I was able to get to any of them =) You had to be within a month of your due date to take any classes where I live and my son came 6 weeks early so i was out of luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I took classes and I think they only thing we should of covered more was trimming finger nails. For the first month or so I was always so nervous about clipping my newborns nails, I even would have my mother come over and help me do it. Just something about them being so small and their nails so small made me nervous.... eventually I learned to do it while they slept but it still made me nervous! :o)
    pcricket1008

Answer by pcricket1008 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Maybe I'm dumb for not knowing this, but if really freaked me out after my first son was born to see how much blood was coming out of me, it was like someone was murdered in the toilet after I got up to pee. It was like I was peeing blood when I stood up, it was coming out of me just as fast. And the pain after the baby was born as they were massaging the uterus back down, I didn't know they were going to do that either.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I wish I had been more flexible with my birth plan. I knew, logically, that things wouldn't go exactly according to plan, but my "natural, no intervention" birth ended up being "every intervention under the sun followed by an emergency c-section." I was devastated, and it took me a good year to really accept it and make my peace.
    I think a lot of women don't understand that there's a pretty good chance they WILL poop on the table. Don't freak out or stress about it, just accept it, and realize that your birthing team has seen it a thousand times, and basically expect it will happen.
    Encourage moms who plan to breastfeed to get as much help as they can get. Even if things are going well, have someone check their latch and offer any helpful advice. Many moms don't know not to pull the baby off when they're done, or not to switch back and forth during a feeding.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I had a c section. In my childbirthing class they just went over the basics of c sections. More details of what happens and aftercare and the risks of a c section would have been great.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010