Is there any point?

In having a moses basket/bassinet if I live in an apartment?
Should I just have a cot/crib instead?

I ask because the baby's room is right off the living room.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was in a bassinet until he was about 4 1/2 or 5 months old. I really liked the one he had because it had wheels and could be moved easily around the house. I also slept with it directly beside my bed. We live in an apartment too. But we had a crib from day one. But he never used it until the bassinet was gone.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I never used a bassinet. They aren't necessary, and if you feel it'd be easier to have just a crib, then do that. It's all up to you, Mama!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• For at home a crib is the best I think. Our son has been in one since about 3 days after he was born. But if we have another kid, I will have a moses basket for travelling and those times when I feel extra clingy and want him/her near me.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I liked having the bassinet. I BF and it was small to fit in my bedroom and you can change diapers in it. It was also given to me so I probably would not have bought one.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I liked having a bassinet when my son was little--I think he felt more secure in a smaller area and it rocked and was easy to move around if need be. I was able to find a nice one for about $35
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I liked having a bassinet because then I could move it with me as I moved through the house. Or, I could put it in the other room if my toddler was being really really loud. A baby can sleep in a bassinet for at least 5 months (unless they roll over super early) so IMO, it's definitely worth the price of the bassinet.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I didn't think I needed a bassinet with my first because we lived in a small apartment and the crib was really close to our bed even though it was in a seperate room. When we brought her home I made my husband go buy a bassinet because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep without her in my room. I breasfed too, so it was easier to just grab her from her bassinet for night feedings.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I used my daughter's bassinet until she started moving around too much to sleep in it, she was a little over 3 months old. I liked that I could put it right next to my bed which is great for midnight feedings, but truth be told when she grew out of it I just put her crib next to my bed. I think if your apartment is small enough and you can hear baby in the other rooms and don't plan on having baby in your bedroom then a bassinet isn't necessary.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I used the bassinet for the first couple of months right next to my bed while the baby was waking up every 2 hours to eat. When they started moving around a little more and sleeping longer, I moved them into the crib.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I didn't use a bassinet, but I did put our guest bed in the baby's room! :) For the first few months, I mostly slept on the "guest bed" in his room - either with him in my arms or in his own crib. I think this made it easier for my son to get used to sleeping in his own room and his own bed, while letting me give him the attention he needed. This also allowed my husband to sleep without disturbance since he was working really long hours and needed a good night sleep!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2010