Why do I want to drink/smell cleaning supplies constantly??

I want to smell PineSol all the time. I clean with Awesome (found at Dollar General) just to smell it. When I think about drinking cleaning products, I have to chew on something crunchy (carrots, ice, etc..). What is wrong with me???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You could have Pica. You should talk to your doctor about it.
    Daemons_mommy

Answer by Daemons_mommy at 5:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I like the smell of cleaning products too... I dont sniff or use them inappropriately or anything I just like the smell of cleanliness... drinking it??? ummm please talk to a dr about this b4 you seriously injure yourself.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• yea talk to your dr.. i had a friend who had the urge to eat cigarettes when she was pregnant...

staceybear23

Answer by staceybear23 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• When I was pregnant both times I would clean a lot just so I could smell the cleaning stuff. Never wanted to drink it though. I would talk to my doctor if I was you. You might lacking in something.
    katrinad

Answer by katrinad at 5:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• it's not good to want to smell cleaning supplies. .perhaps you could put up pine smelling air fresheners in your house?

Most of these supplies have ammonia, and it's not good for your or baby, especially not to ingest!!

(I do have to say that Awesome really is awesome though and cleans great!!!)

As for wanting to drink them, you know they aren't going to taste good.. Try eatting oranges and lemons and limes (they hold similar smells to some cleaning agents and are way more healthy)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I have heard about this...people craving dirt, clay, detergent, etc. . Definitely talk to your doctor about it because you don't want to hurt yourself or the baby.
    ashleywagoner

Answer by ashleywagoner at 5:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Pica is very common during pregnancy; your body is lacking in something and you need to talk to your doctor.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• omg i was the same way! i dont know what it is lol
    lilmamalovesdru

Answer by lilmamalovesdru at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I would talk to your Dr. about Pica and switch to non-toxic products like vinegar and baking soda.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2010